Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Map 1;20 000 Somme July 1915.

brianmorris547

To all Map buffs.

On 03/08/1915 2 Bn West Riding (5 Div 13 IB - WO 95/1552) relieved French troops in the trenches near Bray. On Ancestry page 144/584 of 1552 is a British 1:40 000 map headed Albert which was produced by reducing the Plans Directeurs 1:20 000 and enlarging a 1:80 000.

The French 1;20 000 map is reproduced on pages 145 and 146/584. It is dated July 1915 and shows the Tranchees Allemands in Blue and German Artillery positions (I think). I read somewhere that the French name for High Wood was Bois Des Fouceaux and Trones Wood was Bois Des Troncs. This map howevever shows High Wood as Bois Des Foureaux and Trones as Bois Des Trones (not Troncs).

A good map to spend some time looking at.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

I've seen these maps before and they've proved useful. Offhand I think the DOW diary gives locations by trench numbers which are shown on the French maps. Other units probably also use the same referencing system. They don't like using map references at this stage.

Do note though that the grid square letters do not correspond to a 'normal' map and the grid squares (1Km) themselves do not correspond to later grid system.

Perhaps we might see a fancy overlay demonstrating the difference?

TEW

On 12/12/2021 at 08:07, brianmorris547 said:

Bois Des Fouceaux

On 12/12/2021 at 08:07, brianmorris547 said:

Bois Des Foureaux

I've seen both of those too Brian.  Then you have the current version - "bois des Fourcaux"

6 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

I've seen both of those too Brian.  Then you have the current version - "bois des Fourcaux"

Bois des Forceaux. I can think of a nickname the Brits would have quickly adopted. 

Brian

3 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Bois des Forceaux. I can think of a nickname the Brits would have quickly adopted. 

Brian

:D

• 2 months later...
On 16/12/2021 at 10:37, Don Regiano said:

:D

On 16/12/2021 at 07:34, brianmorris547 said:

Brian

Except they called it High Wood.