Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli

GRR

Hi There , Thank you for the Add much appreciated . I've little to no idea with technology so please bear with me . I'm attempting to find out about a Private Alfred Stubbs Regt number 10899 2nd Hampshire Regt . My Question(s) being was he present at the Landing(s) of either W or V Beach at Cape Helles on April 25th or 26th  , I know he sustained a gun shot wound to the Abdomen , I also wish to know when and where this occurred ? . Thank you in advance . 

Welcome. 

Have found an Arthur Stubbs with several Regimental Nos. on WFA Pension Record Cards with an address in Newport, I of W

There is also a Silver War Badge entry for a James Alfred Stubbs who served with 3rd Hants.9BA6C22A-D864-43C1-B36D-5FCFC1BA40A0.jpeg.745d7b60884d7c3c7df728e344fc3bba.jpeg

Edited by BarbaraG

5 hours ago, GRR said:

I know he sustained a gun shot wound to the Abdomen , I also wish to know when and where this occurred ? .

He appears on a list of wounded in Western Gazette 10 September 1915

You do not need to actually read the article, I just include it for completeness!

It is a list of (hundreds of) wounded , but the date is the interesting thing for you. I shows that his wound was well after the Gallipoli landings. It is an inexact science to estimate time lag between actual wounding and appearance of a name on the lisy of wounded. I would guess his wounding was some time in August 1915

Thank you again Corisande , well that would put pay to him being wounded at either W or V beaches on April 25th or 26th etc  ? , there were 3 battles of Krithia (?) but think they were done by August , there were other actions in August so he could well have been wounded in one of those ? . 

GRR 

From Ray Westlake's British Regiments at Gallipoli, the 2nd Battalion The Hampshire Regiment in August, "Moved forward to firing line east of Gully Ravine (3rd). Attack on trenches H12A and H13 (6th). Went Forward 3.50pm...... Casualties during the attack - 18 officers, 224 other ranks killed and missing, 2 officers, 210 other ranks wounded.

Just to add to BarbaraG's post above, the Date of Disembarkation 20/3/15 (2B) given on the SWB roll is the date that 'Y' and 'Z' Companies sailed on Manitou from Avonmouth.

Alan

On 12/12/2021 at 12:43, alantwo said:

Just to add to BarbaraG's post above, the Date of Disembarkation 20/3/15 (2B) given on the SWB roll is the date that 'Y' and 'Z' Companies sailed on Manitou from Avonmouth.

Y & Z Companies landed at 'V' Beach on 25th April 1915 [while W & X Companies landed at 'W' Beach]

As Alan has indicated above, their biggest action in August 1915 was that on the 6th. Such were their casualties in that action that after this they were for a while reduced from four companies to only two 

The regiment has a very good museum and they may be able to help you narrow down the details of his service on the peninsula - https://www.royalhampshireregiment.org/research/request-research/