Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/124 Battalion D.C.O Baluchistan Infantry at Tell el Mukhmar - September 19th, 1918

Eran Tearosh

All,

Lately, I've been 'bombarded' with inquiries regarding battles and units from all parts of the Palestine Campaign theater of war. Although I managed to answer all of them, I found that some are worth 'digging' into, a bit deeper (I'll probably write about a few others shortly). 

One of these questions was from a local university, asking for information regarding WWI activity on and around Tell Kana, south part of today's Hod HaSharon, near the eastern part of the Yarkon (Auja) River. During the Great War, it was known as Tell el Mukhmar, first captured by by the 52nd (Lowland) Division in December 1917, as a part of 'The Battle of Jaffa'. I guess that after the 52nd Division left for France, various units of the 54th Division held this sector of the line for a while, till the arrival of the Indian 3rd (Lahore) Division. 

On the outbreak of 'The Battle of Sharon', the western flank opening stage of the 'Megiddo Campaigns' (September 19-20, 1918), the 7 & 9 Brigades of the 3rd (Lahore) Division were operating around Sabia and Kufr Saba (Today's Kfar Saba). Due to the nature of the ground in the area to the east (Between Tell el Mukhmar and Ras el A'in), the 8 Brigade of this division was less active at first, only demonstrating on the two flanks their fairly wide sector of the line (About 4 miles). 

402554524_8thBrigade-Sep.19th1918.jpg.0425821f98666de9c39e4016d4381297.jpg

The 2/124 Battalion D.C.O Baluchistan Infantry was at Tell el Mukhmar. Seems their actions that day were much more than a 'demonstration'... So far, I didn't look that much on this battalion. I understand there's a Regimental History, written by Oswald Arthur Chaldecott, published in 1935: The First Battalion, Duchess of Connaught's Own (late 124th D.C.O. Baluchistan Infantry) and the Tenth Battalion (late 2/124th Baluchistan Infantry) : the Tenth Baluch Regiment. 

So far, can't find a scanned copy of that on the internet. Should be interesting to read the Palestine part, especially September 19th, 1918. 

The 8th Brigade's war diary for this period exists - WO95/4702. Wonder if by any chance someone has it. 

Can anyone help with the book and/or war diary?

Eran

Edited by Eran Tearosh

Mate,

I take it the Turks was the 20th Infantry Regt of the 7th Div (Asia Corps)

The 7th Div is a shadow of formation, Allied Intell gives the Fighting strenght as;

Known commanders

LtCol Nasuhi Bey Div commander)

Maj Ismail Hakki Bey  (Div 2ic)

shown Sept 1918 Allied reports (66 MG's) around 20 MGs per Regt

19th Regt (700 men)  Unknown who commanded 

20th Regt (440 men)  Unknown who commanded possibly LtCol Ali Bey

21st Regt (580 men) Unknown who commanded 

Attack/storm Co (70 men)

(7th) Div Cav (150 cav)

+ German  2Bn/146th Regt (450 men 29 MG's) - 

Div Artillery Unknown who commanded possibly LtCol Salih Ulvi Bey

1Bn/9th FAR (8xguns) 

2Bn/25th FAR (6xguns)

1Co/3rd Pnr Bn

2Sect/4th Telegraph Co

7th Field Hosp

14th Field Bakery Sect

212th Supply Column

171st SAA 

20th Regt - Unknown who commanded possibly LtCol Ali Bey

possibly Ali Bey (Cetinkaya) shown commanded during 1916 -1917 in Galicia when replaced unknown?

born 1878 died 21 February 1949) graduated 1898 officer of Fedai Osmancik Taburu (Statesmen Cetinkaya) served army in the Caucasus and Galicia fronts later War of Independence 172nd Regt 1919 later elected to Turkish Grand National Assembly for eight successive terms (MP Çetinkaya Atatürk's close friend)
known units

Osmancik Taburu/Bn 1915 & Commander of Firat (Euphrates) Group 1915 commanded 2xBn/s Fire Bde to Iraq Dec 1914 & 38th Div 4-15 part 35th Div possibly 20th Regt (Galicia) shown CO 172nd Regt (56th Div) around May 1919 in Smyrna

So possibly Ali Bey (Cetinkaya) is not the LtCol Ali Bey mentioned in records, who didn't command the 20th Regt during Sept 1918, as the Commanders of the 19th and 20th Regts were reported captured during Sept 1918

LtCol Ali Bey is also shown replaced Maj Mehmet Halit Bey when Dow 11 Aug 1915 on Gallipoli, other records show he took command during 1916, so the dates don't mesh up as Ali Bey (Cetinkaya) was in Mesopotania around that date

Needs someone with more knownage of the Ottoman Army then me.

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker