Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Soldier's Son's Middle Name: Eloi.

rolt968

I think there was an earlier thread about WW1 related forenames, but can't find it.

The nephew of Canadian soldier whom I have been researching had the middle name "Eloi". I was curious about its origin since I couldn't see anything like it in his ancestry. The penny dropped today! (Both my man and his brother served in the CEF.)

Sadly the son/nephew was killed in WW2.

RM

This is the thread:

For the sake of tidiness, you might choose to re-post there.
Or continue with this one.
That's the beauty of GWF.

Sorry to say that my first thought was "Morlocks!!!" (The Eloi and Morlocks are two post-human races in H.G. Wells' novel The Time Machine, for anyone not up on turn-of-the-last-century sci-fi.)

15 hours ago, knittinganddeath said:

Sorry to say that my first thought was "Morlocks!!!" (The Eloi and Morlocks are two post-human races in H.G. Wells' novel The Time Machine, for anyone not up on turn-of-the-last-century sci-fi.)

I think that was what distracted me from seeing what the real connection was. I haven't read the father's record in detail yet, except to see that he lost three fingers of his right hand, so I don't know if he had a personal connection to fighting at St Eloi.

RM

Having been to Sint Elooi/St Eloi a few times I've often wondered about the dedication and the question prompted me to look. St Eligius apparently worked to convert Flanders to Christianity in the 6th century. It was the site of the baptism of fire (and mud) of the 2nd Canadian Division in the spring of 1916 which may have some relevance to the man you are working on. There was a Canadian ship named St Eloi after the engagement if a well known on line encyclopaedia is to believed.

Pete.

P.S. I wasn't up on turn of the last century sci-fi but I am now a bit more up than previously. Every day is a skool day.

The faher was a 2nd Canadian Division man, I think. The uncle was certainly 1st Canadian Division.

This is the son/nephew, Telegraphist Edward Eloi Strachan, lost when the frigate, HMCS Valleyfield was torpedoed in 1944:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2640953/edward-eloi-strachan/

RM