Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

121 Heavy Battery RGA.

Tuppy

I am hoping that someone may be able to assist in my search for where my Grandfather was during World War 1.

His name is  - Charles L. WIGMORE   Service No.  92027.  I believe he joined up in early 1915.

I know he was on the Somme but have no idea where as he would not speak of the War.

I have a photograph of 18 men taken outside what looks like an old Manor House or such.  The notice in front of the men says ' All that was left of 198 Heavy Battery RGA '.  I would like to know why there are only 18 men ' left '.  What happened to the others and where ?  My Grandfather is standing third from the right in the back row.

I believe he was then transferred to 12 Heavy Battery RGA on I December 1916  and then to 121 Heavy Battery RGA on 22 March 1919.  He was demobbed in September from Germany  ( possibly Endenich ).

He has two ' Descriptive Report of Enlistment ' cards,  one of which is incorrect.  It states that he had two Sons,  one being my Father and the other being the Son of parents living in Wiltshire.

Any assistance in finding where my Grandfather was during the War and what he did would be most appreciated.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Judy Brown.

(nee Wigmore )

Morning Judy.

The batteries served in HAGS (Heavy Artillery Group).

Here is where the 121 HB served courtesy of the National Archives.

The War Diaries are free at the moment from the NA. You need to register to obtain these.

To find the HAG use

77 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery

but change the 77 for the number of the HAG.

ie 43 HAG would be 43 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_col=200&_cr1=WO+95&_hb=tna&_q=43+Brigade+Royal+Garrison+Artillery

His Medal Index Card appears to indicate he was drafted to France AFTER 1 January 1916.

Regards,

Graeme

Image5.jpg

• Admin

To prevent repetition of answers, link to previous query, starting on page 2 of this thread