Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L.Cpl. Harry Duester 6619 Gloucester Regiment

BarbaraG

Definite Honeybourne GWR links too. Although I believe he served pre WW1. Hoping David Murdoch might help with details as he is far better at interpreting the documents.

Harry is Remembered on the Honeybourne War Memorial at 

The church of St Ecgwin

43850A8E-0763-4546-A830-8B636F5E8141.jpeg

6C038CFF-53F6-4918-987D-D7690DD5B6ED.jpeg

Edited by BarbaraG

From his military  discharge record  he enlisted in 1902  for 3 years active and 9 years reserve service. His record shows him being in South Africa in 1903 as he contracted Scarlet Fever there.  It would appear he got a job with GWR in 1905 after his three years active service were completed. He was then  a reservist  for nine years. His reserve period was due to end in November 1914, but when war broke out he was mobilised on 5th August 1914 and posted 1st Battalion the following day. He went to France 7 days later. He was wounded in action  on 19th November 1914  -shrapnel wound/fractured  right arm and returned to the UK.  He remained in UK and possibly his cerebral tumour was discovered while in hospital early 1915. He was discharged Kings Regulations  unfit for further service on 28/6/1915. However not found a Silver War Badge record for him so unsure if he was discharged due to "wounds" or "sickness". He died the following year on 16th April 1916 aged 32 of cerebral tumour.

32167_626640_0241-00134.jpg

30850_A000472-00710.jpg

41803_636897_11304-00046.jpg

large_32452c_mark_newton_17_august_2017.jpg

large_32452_mark_newton_17_august_2017.jpg

Edited by david murdoch

Thank you for creating this thread, without your help Barbara and David, we would never have found this person and his name would have been missed from our proposed memorial.  The 1000 dollar question is can we find a photo of him please?  Definitely in your debt 😀

1 hour ago, wmfinch said:

Thank you for creating this thread, without your help Barbara and David, we would never have found this person and his name would have been missed from our proposed memorial.  The 1000 dollar question is can we find a photo of him please?  Definitely in your debt 😀

Going to try! It appears on one of the private family trees on Ancestry that there is a photo of him. I've contacted the keeper of this tree explaining the research  and asked if he would share this image. 

Regarding him being on Honeybourne War Memorial at The church of St Ecgwins. Obviously his name was put forward and approved, even though he was not killed in action or died of wounds. He'd been a professional soldier  and quite likely one of the first men from the parish to go off to war, and also wounded in action.

9 hours ago, david murdoch said:

Going to try! It appears on one of the private family trees on Ancestry that there is a photo of him. I've contacted the keeper of this tree explaining the research  and asked if he would share this image. 

Regarding him being on Honeybourne War Memorial at The church of St Ecgwins. Obviously his name was put forward and approved, even though he was not killed in action or died of wounds. He'd been a professional soldier  and quite likely one of the first men from the parish to go off to war, and also wounded in action.

That’s fantastic David, thank you so much!  We are having an initial meeting tomorrow to decide how far to go with the individual research, but the vibes I’m getting are very positive about extending it.  Finding living descendants would be wonderful with the aim of inviting them to the opening of the display in a few months time.  This is snowballing 👍👍👍👍

Barbara and David, just going to post another long shot 👍😀

Thank you David for clarifying details of Harry’s Military Service. I have been unable to locate where he may be buried having enquired I found the Churchyard at St Ecgwin was closed in 1912.

Found an item from The Oxfordshire Weekly News 16 April 1919 (Find my Past) which his wife had posted.

26E52F42-F04A-46AD-AF56-D8C4DF9B91B4.jpeg

Slightly different search found details for the Funeral and that there is a Honeybourne Cemetery.

’Military Funeral’

Evesham Standard & West Midland Obsever 29 April 1916 (Find my Past)9EA488A4-E2B1-4657-B80E-EFF34CA314D2.jpeg.5b57888673209505ebe61a73a06e01ec.jpeg07721AC6-9671-4D01-B06C-25972C014209.jpeg.d0979ee635b5e1d66c6942a376c55f4c.jpeg

Edited by BarbaraG

Barbara, you are amazing! The details of his funeral just have to be part of our display in the future, which we must invite you to.

One of our guys is going to Honeybourne tomorrow to look for his grave 👍👍👍👍👍

The details of the funeral give a very good insight  - he was obviously well known and well liked. By address and other information he stayed in Cow Honeybourne ( Gloucestershire) rather than Honeybourne (Worcestershire) and at that time these were separate parishes and counties. So the church mentioned is Cow Honeybourne Parish Church and not Honeybourne the Church of St Ecgwin. Going by Google this church was closed and sold as a private property. Trying to see on Goolge Earth if there is an old parish graveyard close to the church. The one beside St Ecgwin is clearly visible. 

Again this write up implies he was discharged from the army due to his wounds rather than the tumour. I had another look, but I can't find a Silver War Badge record  to his service number - even allowing for  mis spelling of his name. It then clearly states the tumour was brought on by his wounds, so that being the case his death could be seen as  attributable to his war service. 

47517557902_aae5c42188_b.jpg

22 minutes ago, david murdoch said:

The details of the funeral give a very good insight  - he was obviously well known and well liked. By address and other information he stayed in Cow Honeybourne ( Gloucestershire) rather than Honeybourne (Worcestershire) and at that time these were separate parishes and counties. So the church mentioned is Cow Honeybourne Parish Church and not Honeybourne the Church of St Ecgwin. Going by Google this church was closed and sold as a private property. Trying to see on Goolge Earth if there is an old parish graveyard close to the church. The one beside St Ecgwin is clearly visible. 

Again this write up implies he was discharged from the army due to his wounds rather than the tumour. I had another look, but I can't find a Silver War Badge record  to his service number - even allowing for  mis spelling of his name. It then clearly states the tumour was brought on by his wounds, so that being the case his death could be seen as  attributable to his war service. 

47517557902_aae5c42188_b.jpg

David, that you once again! Any info will be gratefully received 👍.  I’ve now seen the area we have to ‘play with’ in terms of space and we now have a good idea of coming up with a format for displaying the info.  Keep you informed