Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

which regiment

Guest jan44

Hi, I am new to the board, I am hoping that somebody may be able to help.

I am trying to find out which regiment my partner's grandfather was serving in during WW1.

We are unable to get any info from older family members, they don't know! the older ones have died.

Grandad was, according to his marriage certificate, a soldier (obviously), his place of residence at time of marriage in 1919, was The Lord Derby War Hospital, Winwick, Warrington. This was an Asylum, but taken over by the military during 1915 to 1920. The only info we have on Grandad is, he was William James Taylor, born in Norfolk 1895 8th Nov.

If we can find out which regiment(s) were stationed at Winwick at the time, we may be able to find out which regiment grandad was in. We think that he was an Auxiliary worker. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jan

Jan

Welcome to the Forum. A difficult task you've set yourself, I'm afraid. Mainly because William Taylor will have been quite common name.

Can I suggest that, first of all, you have a look at the mother site (click the link to the Long Long Trail top left of this page), and have a look at the research section. This will give you some good ideas about how to proceed.

If he was a soldier working at the hospital, then he may well have been in the Royal Army Medical Corps. If he served abroad during the war, he will have been entitled to medals. You can try and find his records (called a Medal Index Card or MIC)at the National Archives website. If you find a man of the right name serving with the RAMC then it might be him. But it might be someone else.

If he was at the hospital as a patient, then it will not be possible to guess at which regiment he was serving with.

Good luck

John

There are only 9 records showing William James Taylor some with RAMC association.

Medal card of Taylor, William James

Corps: East Surrey Regiment

Regiment No: 7217

1914-1920 WO 372/23

Medal card of Taylor, William James Winter

Corps: Royal Army Service Corps

Regiment No: T4/128599

1914-1920 WO 372/19

Medal card of Taylor, William James Ogilvie

Corps: Royal Scots Fusiliers

1914-1920 WO 372/19

Corps: Royal Army Medical Corps

1914-1920 WO 372/19

Corps: London Regiment

Regiment No: 3423

1914-1920 WO 372/19

Corps: Indian Labour Corps

1914-1920 WO 372/19

Corps: Wiltshire Regiment

Regiment No: 18418

1914-1920 WO 372/19

Corps: Royal Field Artillery

Regiment No: 1645

1914-1920 WO 372/19

Corps: Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Regiment No: 930

Roop

Thanks for your replies folks.

I will try and find more info. I went to the A2A site and found records for winwick hospital being used during ww1 1915-17, Cheshire records office has these, maybe the records may state which regiments were stationed there.

I have contacted Cheshire rec office, they tell me there is a 10 day backlog of replies to e-mails. I am very patient, so it may be worth the wait.

If the records do have the names of regiments serving there, perhaps I could put the reg names on here, it may help someone else. We are pretty sure that grandad was not an inmate of the hospital, he was working there at the time.

Regards to all

Jan