Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

174th Battery RGA

grahamcaine

Hi. Does anyone have information of where the 174th Battery RGA fought between 1916-1918. They were part of the 79th Brigade (and, briefly, the 72nd Brigade I believe). My great-grandfather, Robert Hamilton (95604) served in this battery as a gunner throughout the duration of the Great War. I would be very interested in knowing geographically where he fought on the Western Front. If anyone could assist me with this I would be very grateful. Also, if anyone has any additional information (i.e. could direct me to books, photos, etc.), I would greatly appreciate this also. Many thanks, Graham.

Graham,

No mention of 174SB in 72nd Brigade War Diary between June - December 1918.

79Brigade War Diaries are at:

79 Brigade RGA

I have just realised, I have provided these links to you previously. Without looking at a war diary it is very difficult to tell where they were at any time. 174th SB were Army troops and had no particular allegiance to any Brigade . Dick Flory previously provided their history but it will need specific documents to find particular detail.

Roop

Hi Roop,

Thanks for this reply. Yes, yourself and Dick Flory did very kindly provide me with assistance last time. From the links you gave me, I tried to order the war diary for the 174th SB RGA (WO 95/477 I believe) but I got an e-mail back from the PRO saying that they couldn't provide me with an estimate. Presumably it is too big to copy? Would you suggest that I tried to order it online again or physically go down to the PRO myself? With regards to my great-grandfather, was he in the 'army' or 'artillery' side of things? His war record states 'gunner' so I assumed he would be involved in artillery. Thanks again for your help, Graham.

Hi. Just to let you know that I looked back at what Dick Flory kindly researched for me, and he confirmed that the 174th Siege RGA were briefly part of the 72nd Brigade between 28/01/18 and 26/02/18 so wouldn't have been covered in your war diary. I requested the relevant war diaries again yesterday so hopefully, if successful, this will help me to uncover geographic locations, etc. Any information on the 174th Siege Battery RGA anyone might have would still be gratefully received, or if anyone could guide me to other relevant books/documents/photographs. Many thanks, Graham.

I forgot to add that from the research of Dick Flory, it seems that 174th Siege RGA were part of the 79th Brigade (through various HAG's) between 07/10/16 until the end of the war, except for brief periods when they were attached to 72nd Brigade (28/01/18-26/02/18) and 448 Siege RGA (from 27/02/18 until ?). Thanks, Graham.

Hi Graham,

Certainly try and reorder online. May help to be more specific with larger diaries. Select the exact months you require which is also cheaper.

It bis unusual for them not to quote unless they are temporarily closed at the moment which may be the case.

Roop

• 4 years later...
Hi Graham,

Certainly try and reorder online. May help to be more specific with larger diaries. Select the exact months you require which is also cheaper.

It bis unusual for them not to quote unless they are temporarily closed at the moment which may be the case.

Roop

My Grandfather Sargeant William Arthur Hill was in 174th Siege Battery. I have his photographs and some postcards from 1918 when they were involved in the support of the 2nd Portuguese during operation Georgette. They were based around Merville and I have photos of destruction of St Venant, Calonne sur Lys and Merville some of which was done by his battery. Later on he has postcards and pictures from Houdain, Perles, Waterloo, Brussels Loth and some places on Germany. They are a little mixed up but I am also trying to piece together the route they took across to Germany following the fourth battle of Ypres.

Happy to share any information

Haydn Jarrett

Wolverhampton

England

Hi. Does anyone have information of where the 174th Battery RGA fought between 1916-1918. They were part of the 79th Brigade (and, briefly, the 72nd Brigade I believe). My great-grandfather, Robert Hamilton (95604) served in this battery as a gunner throughout the duration of the Great War. I would be very interested in knowing geographically where he fought on the Western Front. If anyone could assist me with this I would be very grateful. Also, if anyone has any additional information (i.e. could direct me to books, photos, etc.), I would greatly appreciate this also. Many thanks, Graham.

My Grandfather Sargeant William Arthur Hill was in 174th Siege Battery. I have his photographs and some postcards from 1918 when they were involved in the support of the 2nd Portuguese during operation Georgette. They were based around Merville and I have photos of destruction of St Venant, Calonne sur Lys and Merville some of which was done by his battery. Later on he has postcards and pictures from Houdain, Perles, Waterloo, Brussels Loth and some places on Germany. They are a little mixed up but I am also trying to piece together the route they took across to Germany following the fourth battle of Ypres.

Happy to share any information

Haydn Jarrett

Wolverhampton

England