Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

pension record for Albert Edward Morland request

chaz

Ok, Ive just purchased a subscription to Fold 3 thinking I can find a few pension records amongst other things. But, apart from a ledger  card for him, am I doing something wrong or isnt there a sheet for him?  Albert Edward Morland, 811, 915413 RFA.

https://www.fold3.com/image/690669642

Charlie

Ive got these , but shouldnt there be a ledger page with his and other names of soldiers effects?

ahh, down as Marland, his medals are as 811 so nothing found , only on 915413. I put Morland and his number in which is where I went wrong,  number only..

thanks

as it relates to him, Ive also downloaded the war diary as Albert died of wounds as is buried not far from the diary report location. Trying to find where he was wounded.

----------------------

CHERISY

29/8/1918:  Battalion intermittently shelled with 4.2 & 5.93. Casualties slight.

30/8/1918:  1st Canadian division attack CROWS NEST + UPTON WOOD. Zero hour 4am. Attack partially successful, Final objectives not gained. Batteries + Headquarters heavily shelled with 4.2 ,5.9+ gas. 2nd Lt BRADLEY of B/232 BATTERY wounded. Assisted Canadian Diivision,Engaged enemy concentrations of troops at CHATEAU WOOD + UPTON WOOD.

31/8/1918: Assisted attack by 56th Division on SUGAR FACTORY EAST of BULLECOURT. ZERO HOUR 5.15am ATTACK successful and objectives gained.

1/9/1918 : CHERISY: Assisted in attack of 40 Division towards Queant.

2/9/1918:                     Attack very successful batteries heavily shelled.

---------------------------

Albert Morland died of wounds 2/9/1918 and buried at Ligny St Flochel British Cemetery, Averdoingt. This cemetery is around 50km from Cherisy.

Im looking at CCS7 which was at Ligny from April to December 1918.

Or CCS 33 at Ligny from May to October 1918.

As the CCS would have been the first main place to be assesed away from the front line, Im guessing one of the dates above would have been the day he was hit

What were 4.2 and 5.9 , would that be shells? and would the officer compiling the report actually go and measure them??

1 hour ago, chaz said:

What were 4.2 and 5.9 , would that be shells? and would the officer compiling the report actually go and measure them??

5.9" was the German 150mm  howitzer.

I assume the 4.2" was the 105mm howitzer.

Clearly a big difference in the sound in flight and weight of explosion that were readily identifiable by those in the trenches (and in gun positions) as they were very common.

But no doubt an expert will provide a more exact account....

charlie

Edited by charlie962

1 hour ago, chaz said:

As the CCS would have been the first main place to be assesed away from the front line, Im guessing one of the dates above would have been the day he was hit

Chaz, you have me slightly confused (not difficult for me!). In your OP you were asking about Pension Records but then in reply to my post you said you already had these.

You then mentioned Soldiers Effects and by the fact that you quoted 'Marland' I presume you found his entry. In that entry you will note he died at No 1 CCS. So I am not sure why you are looking at No 7 or No 33 ?

Charlie

Edit- CWGC description of the Cemetery confirms its use by No 1 CCS as well as 7 and 33.  Morland was killed Sept 1918 so it ties up.

The cemetery was started at the beginning of April 1918 when the 7th Casualty Clearing Station came back from Tincques ahead of the German advance. At the end of May the 33rd Casualty Clearing Station arrived from Aire and in August, No.1 Casualty Clearing Station from Pernes. All three stations had left Ligny-St Flochel by November 1918.

Edited by charlie962

hi Charlie

I had the cards but thought there should have been a full page one, after you replied, I realised it was the Pension record that was the full page one As I was writing I remembered and as yo said use fewer options, that where Marland came up.Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would  tag onto  the one already started.

Im having laptop troubles, bought a new one but cant get my antivirus on it so not using and this one hanging and not recognising mouse pad amongst other things. Ive downloaded the Pensionn record but not checked that well. 

As he was at Ligny St Flochel (near our old house), I presumed he would have been at a CCS there and using the LLT list I saw no7 and 33 were at Ligny a/round the time. Where I missed CCS1 was doing a search, it never picked it up, I now rechecked and see they werethere 26/8/1918.

out of the three lists on the LLT only one shows CCS1 at Ligny.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/locations-of-british-casualty-clearing-stations/

sorry to confuse..

Charlie

thanks for clarifying the sizes, I have a few rusty shells but being in the ground for 100 years sizes are different,  I suppose they would get used to the sounds , I have read biographies where itwas mentioned.

Edited by chaz
ccs list added, thanks Chris

2 minutes ago, chaz said:

I suppose they would get used to the sounds

Duds were not uncommon and gunners would always be interested on a technical basis as to what was being thrown at them.

On 03/12/2021 at 20:59, chaz said:

Ive got these , but shouldnt there be a ledger page with his and other names of soldiers effects?

Soldiers effects registers are on Ancestry - https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=NBE117&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&dbid=60506&cp=0&_F8007A65=915413&new=1&rank=1&uidh=784&redir=false&msT=1&gss=angs-d&pcat=39&fh=0&h=610671&recoff=&ml_rpos=1&queryId=519e9a18cf18333420d8d203e9d87259

Craig

thanks Craiig, but Ive stopped my Ancestry subs in favour of Fold3, I thought the effects were on fold3

12 hours ago, chaz said:

thanks Craiig, but Ive stopped my Ancestry subs in favour of Fold3, I thought the effects were on fold3

Not as far as I'm aware, but I only use Fold3 for the pension records via the WFA sub.

Craig