Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

church and graveyards not normally recognised

chaz

As we have been looking at cemeteries on Visiting battlefields topic , "Has anyone got a photograph", I thought I would post a few pictures of lesser visited graves from WW1 , these are often single losses buried  locally with CWGC headstones.  These can be found using the CWGC or the POI graves app for sat navs. We should not forget these lone casualties. Not necessarily headstone close ups but in situ photos. While travelling around we often wonder why?  Why he was there ? Died, Killed, sick//

I will start with Bugler H Tredwell  died 03/08/1916 at Agenville Churchyard on the Somme.

Agenville.JPG

next

Cpl of Horse W G G Harper at Aix-en-Issart on the Pas de Calais.  died 28/04/1916

with initials of W G G he had to join the Horse Guards

harper grave.JPG

Re: Agenville cemetery, Bugler H. Tredwell.

A group of cemeteries in that part of Somme department are described in the graves register, and that burials within are for the most part due to accident or sudden illness.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2904005/h-tredwell/#&gid=1&pid=2

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

• Admin

Not sure if 8 can find a photo, but BSM Rumsey died  of heatstroke, and is buried at Pierrefonds Les Bains communal cemetery. 

55 minutes ago, chaz said:

Arthur Wells

Drowned.

Looks as though most of the graves are indeed for those men who didn't die in combat.

Dai

just to clarify, We have driven around from Calais down to Abbeville and Le touquet across to Cambrai. In that area the other post covers battle field cemeteries, this thread covers mainly the Eastern half. These Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen died before getting to the main battlefields, Like those that returned, be it in whole or wounded many are forgotten as they are not in the main arena that people visit. MAybe , some died after getting left behind and the locals initially burried them before they could be reported to the authorities.

This is my way of remembering them, there are WW2 losses in small cemeteries but I will restrain from posting them on here. The pictures may be of help to some relatives , who may in the future do a search.

Graves in communal cemeteries were considered as not threatened to disappear when concentrations were done. Also, the "eternal" care seemed no problem as the care was officially handed over to the communes in most cases (as one can see: the graves are usually marked with low border stones and no grass but pebbles on the grave). The only problem arose when communal cemeteries were moved (in Belgium, quite a few cemeteries around the church were stopped and new cemeteries were created away from the centre). In this case, graves were exhumed and reburied, mostly in concentration cemeteries. It also leads to some strange situations: in Wevelgem, the three 1918 graves are in the care of the commune (border stones and pebbles)n while the 50 or so WW2 graves are being cared for by the CWGC. I don't know whether in France the agreements are the same as in Belgium.

The French concentrated their single or small groups of military graves on communal cemeteries at different stages in time to larger cemeteries, even when the original cemeteries were remaining, just to save on expenses.