Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"A soldier's badge"

Sinabhfuil

I'm looking at an incident in 1917. A woman is described as "wearing a soldier's badge". 

I'm pretty sure that this is the sister-in-law of a sergeant who had been killed in the Battle of Arras. But what is the "soldier's badge" that she's wearing?

22 minutes ago, Sinabhfuil said:

I'm looking at an incident in 1917. A woman is described as "wearing a soldier's badge". 

I'm pretty sure that this is the sister-in-law of a sergeant who had been killed in the Battle of Arras. But what is the "soldier's badge" that she's wearing?

Have you a pic?

Could it be that she was wearing a "sweetheart brooch" - a copy of the cap badge of the unit of someone important to her, made into a brooch? 

In which case it could be of almost any unit, in any of the services.*

Googling the expression brings up many references.

EDIT: Actually they could probably have recognised it if it was Naval or wings, or the RFC badge, so army seems most likely !

Edited by pierssc

Hm. All the information I have is that she was "wearing a soldier's badge". And if the woman is who I think she was, her brother-in-law had been killed two months earlier in the Battle of Arras.

I think a “sweetheart brooch” is most likely but Silver War Badge a possibility?
58 DM.

3 minutes ago, 58 Div Mule said:

I think a “sweetheart brooch” is most likely but Silver War Badge a possibility?
58 DM.

If the man had died in service then he couldn't have been awarded a SWB

PT

12 hours ago, PaulTudge1916 said:

If the man had died in service then he couldn't have been awarded a SWB

We have no way of knowing that the woman in question was wearing a  badge relating specifically to her brother in law and therefore we must consider all possibilities. I still think a ‘sweetheart brooch’ of some sort is most likely.

58 DM.

Yes. It's also possible that the brooch-wearer was not who I think it was, but was a bystander, which would make the Silver War Badge or other sweetheart brooch a possibility. 

On 03/12/2021 at 10:38, 58 Div Mule said:

We have no way of knowing that the woman in question was wearing a  badge relating specifically to her brother in law and therefore we must consider all possibilities. I still think a ‘sweetheart brooch’ of some sort is most likely.

If you break the possible link between the woman in the photo and her dead relative then 'a soldiers badge' does in fact become a [complete] mystery.

PT