Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distribution of King George V Coronation Medals

rolt968

Does anyone know if there was a policy for the distribution of King George V Coronation Medals? If so if any record exists of who received a medal?

Reading the local newspapers I have found the following:

A medal was sent to the provost of many (I suspect all) the Angus (Forfarshire) Burghs. (Was this true of all provosts and mayors?)

The CO of the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry was sent three medals which (on his decision, I think) were awarded to himself, the RSM and the longest serving OR. (Did this happen in every TF unit, I wonder?)

Presumably in additon to this kind of distribution everyone who took part in the ceremonial (including troops who lined the streets?) received a medal?

RM

If it's any help I've found a little about it in my books. About 16,000 medals altogether were issued and all were silver. Recipients did not have to be present at the procession to qualify. A special ceremony was held in the grounds of Buckingham Palace for the personal presentation by King George of the Coronation medals to all members of the Colonial and Indian contingents who had represented the overseas troops in the Coronation procession, 300 medals presented.

ARABIS.

20 hours ago, ARABIS said:

If it's any help I've found a little about it in my books. About 16,000 medals altogether were issued and all were silver. Recipients did not have to be present at the procession to qualify. A special ceremony was held in the grounds of Buckingham Palace for the personal presentation by King George of the Coronation medals to all members of the Colonial and Indian contingents who had represented the overseas troops in the Coronation procession, 300 medals presented.

ARABIS.

Thank you.

I knew that it was the first coronation medal awarded to people who weren't actually at the ceremony. Mind you there hadn't been all that many coronations with recent history!

RM

Off topic slightly but this reminds me of the QE Silver Jubilee Medal of which the awards were very selective. There was much resentment amongst armed forces personnel some of whom had served since the coronation and didn’t receive one. At the Spit Head Silver Jubilee Fleet Review every ship we’re allocated a few depending on crew size and it was up to the CO of the ship to distribute them. I think lessons were learned because the for Golden and Diamond Jubilees every member of the armed forces who had served for 3 years or more received one which was good for the men but bad for future collectors. 

3 minutes ago, Lawryleslie said:

bad for future collectors. 

And also bad for those who had served HM for 30 -40 years of her reign but had swallowed the anchor just before the the Jubilee gongs came up with rations.

1 hour ago, horatio2 said:

And also bad for those who had served HM for 30 -40 years of her reign but had swallowed the anchor just before the the Jubilee gongs came up with rations.

Absolutely H2. I fell into this when her Diamond Jubilee medal was issued in 2012. I had served for 34 years of her reign but left before her Diamond Jubilee. Such is life. 

To keep on theme, I have a few ww1 medal groups with this medal in it

For the Coldstream it Very few awarded as I have the roll 

FYI it was 5 yrs not 3.

This was always a grumble of my dad’s he served in the police from 1960 to 1995 and just got the long service medal