Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Medal in a set?

tankengine888

Hello!

A forum on a family member. Cutting to the chase, there are 4 medals (I believe) on this set, and his name doesn't come up with a result anyhow. He came to Australia at some point before December 1914 (enlistment), so I believe it might be a Militia medal. He supposedly came from a place called "Glasgow, Scotland" but on his record (of service) it says "Glasgow, L(?), Scotland" I believe, leading me to take it as Lanarkshire (correct my spelling). Here is his photo, and his medals.
562 James Olson is the name, photo is taken in around 1919?

Grandpa Olson during WW 1.jpg

image.png

It was relatively common to show the county with an address so I'd agree with it likely being Lanarkshire.

Craig

48 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

It was relatively common to show the county with an address so I'd agree with it likely being Lanarkshire.

Craig

I see,
Cheers!

9 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

Could it be the Gallipoli Star, he was there

Huh? That's a Ottoman medal...

My guess is that it was the Terrirorial Force Efficiency Medal for at least twelve years service. The last ribbon on the right certainly looks like the ribbon for the TFEM.

26 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

My guess is that it was the Terrirorial Force Efficiency Medal for at least twelve years service. The last ribbon on the right certainly looks like the ribbon for the TFEM.

Well, he was only supposedly 22 when he signed on... child soldier at 10 wouldn't fix.
Cheers anyhow.

6 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

December 1914 (enlistment), so I believe it might be a Militia medal.

On his attestation form though, he's answered "No" to the question about previous service in Army, Territorials, Militia, Reserve etc

9 hours ago, Neil 2242 said:

On his attestation form though, he's answered "No" to the question about previous service in Army, Territorials, Militia, Reserve etc

Could've lied, heard cases of that.

Whatever the final answer is, who knows.  But it certainly is a magnificent photo.

12 minutes ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Whatever the final answer is, who knows.  But it certainly is a magnificent photo.

Pity, but the man who suggested the territorial medal had the right idea, the ribbon looked similar but yeah, who knows? Only him, and he's dead now, even then I was told he never spoke of the war.

Cheers.

Could it be from his service in Egypt?

George

13 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Could it be from his service in Egypt?

George

You actually have a valid point.. just need to figure out which medal.

Mind you, he might be wearing an family members medal aswell, but who knows.

Cheers.

5 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Was his full name James Einar( or Einar James) Olson b. 24th March, 1892. d. 22nd Feb, 1968?

Regards Barry

Indeed. I assume you got that off Familysearch or Geni (or ancestry). I put that stuff up there. His birth and location are what the family have been told. No records can substantiate this birth.

9 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi,

Just seen your other thread with all the details, better to keep the information in one place.

Regards Barry.

True that, i understand that. I should merge them, but sort of a new boy, not sure how to.

Hi

No gallantry medals, from AWM - https://www.awm.gov.au/advanced-search?query=562 James Olson&people=true

Entitled to trio as on his service record - https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=7997367

Given his age I can see no other way he could have got another medal apart from the trio

Having a close look at the medals in the picture, I think you are only looking at the trio, nothing else.

See the source image

The angle of the photo and being in black and white has affected what you see of the ribbons.

regards

Robert

31 minutes ago, rksimpson said:

Hi

No gallantry medals, from AWM - https://www.awm.gov.au/advanced-search?query=562 James Olson&people=true

Entitled to trio as on his service record - https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=7997367

Given his age I can see no other way he could have got another medal apart from the trio

Having a close look at the medals in the picture, I think you are only looking at the trio, nothing else.

See the source image

The angle of the photo and being in black and white has affected what you see of the ribbons.

regards

Robert

Well, the medals take up the whole pocket width, meaning 4. Ill find a photo with a man with a Trio, apart of AIF, Ill get back to this in a bit. You might have a point though.

This man, Sergeant John Whittle, VC, DCM, is wearing 4 medals on top, and 2 below, seems like the top row takes up the whole pocket with, might exceed a bit.
P01383.014

Edited by tankengine888

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of thoughts,
                                        Were any bits of Gallipoli Star ribbon issued to troops when the medal was first announced or are there any records of troops buying and wearing the ribbon during the period the photograph was taken? Could the extra ribbon be that of the first type that was produced for the Inter Allied Victory Medal? I have seen bits of it worn on period uniforms, before the issue of the official medal ribbon.

32 minutes ago, gnr.ktrha said:

Just a couple of thoughts,
                                        Were any bits of Gallipoli Star ribbon issued to troops when the medal was first announced or are there any records of troops buying and wearing the ribbon during the period the photograph was taken? Could the extra ribbon be that of the first type that was produced for the Inter Allied Victory Medal? I have seen bits of it worn on period uniforms, before the issue of the official medal ribbon.

Once again: the Gallipoli Star was an Ottoman medal, and thus NOT ISSUED to any allied soldiers. The other Gallipoli medal mentioned here was a commemorative medallion (not a medal and no ribbon) issued in 1990...

23 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Once again: the Gallipoli Star was an Ottoman medal, and thus NOT ISSUED to any allied soldiers. The other Gallipoli medal mentioned here was a commemorative medallion (not a medal and no ribbon) issued in 1990...

Correct, but the ribbon for the ANZAC award was, according to the AWM, issued to some soldiers.  
https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/REL%3A18632

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, that's what I wondered. 

AOK4 I believe the medal you are referring to was in fact the Ottoman War Medal or sometimes known as the Iron Crescent, which has been known incorrectly by collectors as the Gallipoli Star. I never suggested for one moment that Allied troops were given awards by their enemies and I am not sure why you would have got that impression from my post above. However there was a proposed ANZAC medal called the Gallipoli Star.
              The Gallipoli Star was proposed at wars end. It was only because of political pressure from the UK Government that it was never issued at the time. As Charlie has shown, ribbon was produced for it.

It's very confusing when two medals from different countries are named similarly. Now I get the point. The last ribbon does indeed look a bit like this ribbon.