Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frezenberg, 1000m north at 35m elevationn Then and Now

egbert

Egbert

By chance I was going through the War Diaries of 83 Infantry Brigade (28 Division) and in the April 1915 diary of 3 Monmouths (WO 95/2274/4) (ancestry p 100 to 114) there are seven photographs of Frezenberg Ridge and Mouse Trap Farm taken from the Monmouths Front Line. 

Brian

Edit; Here are the first two.

frezenberg ridge pic.jpg

frezenberg ridge .jpg

mouse trap farm pic.jpg

mouse trap farm.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547

And here are the others. I think that they may have been taken after the war.

Brian

3 mon.jpg

3 mon pic.jpg

frezenberg ridge .jpg

frezenberg ridge pic.jpg

zonnebeke railway.jpg

zonnebeke railway pic.jpg

front line.jpg

front line pic.jpg

level crossing.jpg

level crossing pic.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547

Egbert

Yes they are, they are attached to a narrative of the Second Battle of Ypres in the 3 Monmouths WD. The May 1915 WD of 83 Infantry Brigade (WO 95/2273) has sketch maps showing positions and there are maps in the WD of 85 Infantry Brigade (WO 95/2278) on page 360/1106 Zonnebeke, page 539 Zillebeck and 540 Saint Jean. The Saint Jean map shows Shell Trap Farm in C 22 b.

Brian

Brian it would be interesting to understand when these pictures were taken. I think it is intriguing how quick the scars of zillion of shell holes and trenches has been leveled. The landscape looks already like normal farmland, never destroyed by a war. 

Egbert

As far as I can make out the pictures were taken to assist in the writing of the Regimental History. There is nothing to say when unfortunately, mid 1920s perhaps.

Brian

1 hour ago, egbert said:

Even if in the mid 20s - absolute amazing how quick the landscape was restored

It is - the only thing that gives it away compared to the wartime German panorama in the original post is the complete absence of woods and hedgerows. The picture of Mousetrap Farm includes a ruined bunker. Amazing pictures, thanks @egbert and @brianmorris547 for posting.

Richard