Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th (Service) Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers.

dlh4042

Hi everyone,

I am currently researching the 8th (Service) Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers in WW1, with a view to, hopefully, publishing a battalion history. I have the various war diaries etc but what I'm really in need of are the personal stories, the anecdotes,  the letters home, the photographs etc.

I'm hoping to hear from anyone who had a relative, or from anyone who has any information on anyone who served in that battalion during the First World War.

Many hopeful thanks

Dave

• 2 years later...

Hi Dave,

My Great Great Grandfather, John Gowland, served with this battalion at Gallipoli and The Somme where he was killed on the 26th September 1916 at 23 years old. I am myself looking for more information on this battalion and only know of their actions at Moquet Farm on Theipval ridge. He was born in Byker in 1893 and if you know anyone who’s come forward from soldiers born there and served in the battalion would be awesome to get in touch with them to find more information out.

regards,

Jack 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @dlh4042 last visited the forum quite recently. With any luck, my tag will alert them to your post. 

This is Private John W. Gowland’s letter marking the 8th Service Battalion’s Combat Actions of that day on the 26th of September 1916 which states of him being killed in action. Today I learnt that he was only a few days shy of his 23rd birthday when he was killed and not actually 23. 

IMG_9298.jpeg

IMG_9299.jpeg

IMG_9301.jpeg