Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracking down medals

tankengine888

Hello!

I made a post on my Great Great Grandfather concerning his service, where he was, etc. now I wonder if his medals were issued or returned. I am aware his ribbons were present in a photo in about 1919 provided below. I have not known where his medals, I did know a cousin might’ve had them, but I heard about that nearly a year ago. Any help would be nice!

forgot name, James Olson 562, 4th [light horse brigade] Australian machine gun squadron

4684C6A7-58B6-44B4-A802-48039B815A19.jpeg

Edited by tankengine888

Last page of his service record is all stamped up with medal issues for 14-15 Star, BWM & Victory so they were issued. If they were ever returned I'd assume that would be indicated as well.

I note the Repatriation Certificate of 1961, this means they kept his file up to date.

TEW

6 minutes ago, TEW said:

Last page of his service record is all stamped up with medal issues for 14-15 Star, BWM & Victory so they were issued. If they were ever returned I'd assume that would be indicated as well.

I note the Repatriation Certificate of 1961, this means they kept his file up to date.

TEW

By chance, this reparation file has red writing on it reading somewhere “b103” and incorrectly has his unit as 4th LHFS? If so, was this written by him or just record keeping?

Not seen one of these forms before but it's between the Repatriation Department & AIF Records Office. I doubt he ever saw it but I don't know why they requested that paperwork in 1961 or quite what repatriation means in this context.

4th AMGS is the last unit noted on his B.103 form, dated 8/11/18. Seems to have been with that unit when he embarked for home.

Oh, they mis-read it in 1961 and wrote 4 AMFS?

TEW

1 hour ago, TEW said:

Not seen one of these forms before but it's between the Repatriation Department & AIF Records Office. I doubt he ever saw it but I don't know why they requested that paperwork in 1961 or quite what repatriation means in this context.

4th AMGS is the last unit noted on his B.103 form, dated 8/11/18. Seems to have been with that unit when he embarked for home.

Oh, they mis-read it in 1961 and wrote 4 AMFS?

TEW

Yeah, they did screw up. I indeed aswell doubt he saw it, he was under a slightly different name with many variations, so that's alot of paperwork to confirm it got to him if any.

On 28/11/2021 at 22:11, tankengine888 said:

Hello!

I made a post on my Great Great Grandfather concerning his service, where he was, etc. now I wonder if his medals were issued or returned. I am aware his ribbons were present in a photo in about 1919 provided below. I have not known where his medals, I did know a cousin might’ve had them, but I heard about that nearly a year ago. Any help would be nice!

forgot name, James Olson 562, 4th [light horse brigade] Australian machine gun squadron

4684C6A7-58B6-44B4-A802-48039B815A19.jpeg

As TEW has confirmed, they were indeed issued, which bears out the family lore that your cousin had them. As regards tracing them I would suggest that step one is to join the British Medals Forum (the term British being loose, as many Dominion issues are covered too): https://britishmedalforum.com

Once you’ve registered you can explain which medals it is that you’re seeking and make contacts there who can guide you.  I understand that there is a procedure by which you can record your search for others to keep an eye out.

Edited by FROGSMILE