Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pension Ledger Query

verdun

• 1 month later...

I can't find the specific wording, but looking through historic hansard records (online) suggests that this refers to the Ministry of Pensions Act 1916.  Presumably the article is being cited as the reason a pension (I believe for a widow) perhaps originally refused can now be allowed.  Very faintly you can see 6/- (or 16/-?) written in after the blue writing.  Not a very complete answer but I hope it gives you a clue.

Edited by Notes

On 28/11/2021 at 21:35, verdun said:

Can anyone tell me what the writing in blue signifies on this pension form, accessed through the WFA link?

Many thanks if you can help!

Pension Query.jpg

3 minutes ago, Notes said:

I can't find the specific wording, but looking through historic hansard records (online) suggests that this refers to the Ministry of Pensions Act 1916.  Presumably the article is being cited as the reason a pension (I believe for a widow) perhaps originally refused can now be allowed.  Very faintly you can see 6/- (or 16/-?) written in after the blue writing.  Not a very complete answer but I hope it gives you a clue.

It's Article 21(1)(a) of the 1918 Royal Warrant (the second pension warrant issued under the tenure of the MoP).

The 1916 Act want a pension warrant, it was just some enabling legislation.

21. – (1) The parent (or parents) of a soldier who has died in the circumstances set forth in Article 11 of this Our Warrant may be granted a pension under the following conditions:-

(a) If dependent on the soldier, a pension equal to the amount of pre-war dependence or 3s. 6d. a week, whichever is the greater, but not exceeding 15s. a week,; or

The pencil amount looks 6/, 6 shillings.

Craig

13 minutes ago, Notes said:

Brilliant, thanks Craig. :)  For clarity I should probably delete my post?

I'd leave it as part of the learning experience - might help someone else with a similar line of thought in future.

Craig