Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Misses Perks - soldiers' homes at Bulford and Winchester

Moonraker

We've mentioned these two ladies and the welfare work in the Great War period before. I've just acquired this postcard1614247293_MissesPerkstent.jpg.6fee1f0e4a4160ca2940b3db72bf63ee.jpg

Others more expert than I might be able to gauge the date - I would think during the war? An early thought was that the two ladies might well be the Perks sisters, but Emma was born in 1843 and Louise in 1844, so would have been well into their sixties at the time of the photo.

Here they are:

130143565_MissesPerks.jpeg.a3390f6e5a031a00468a13e0e138e241.jpeg

For more about their work, read this PDF document.

Edited by Moonraker

The ladies' coats in the top picture look right for 1914-1918; possibly earlier in the period to judge by the hats, but don't quote me.

Here's a picture of The Soldier's Home in Winchester as it is today, (well, September). 

It's now used by a non-conformist church. The words The Welcome over the lintel originally read Soldier's Home.

perks.JPG

Edited by Alan24

Alan

Thanks for that. I had wondered what the building looked like today. Time was when I might have checked it out myself on a visit to the City but nowadays ...

There are several listings on eBay of postcards of the exterior and interior of the Bulford home - these cards are quite common, whereas in 25 years of collecting I've never seen the one in my first post.

Recently I came across the original plans for the building:

1240148598_MissPerksHomeBulford.jpg.6b13dfbdd1b11801c11d54dad56901b5.jpg

7 hours ago, Moonraker said:

whereas in 25 years of collecting I've never seen the one in my first post.

That is a seriously good card!