Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMTS Justicia/Statendam

Skybedz

Hello, I am a digital collector of photographs of the SS Statendam or more well known as Jusitica if anyone has some uniqe photographs of which relate to the Justicia please feel free to share here!

I do have a question if anyone knows the story behind this one photograph?
This photo (linked) is said to have been taken in New York but what confuses me is her apperance as to why the ship is seen with colors like these?
She entered service in 1917 reportedly painted fully gray so when could've this been taken?

If anyone has answers it would help!

ny_small.jpg

There are two photos (Page 80) in Wartime Disasters at Sea (David Williams). One is of what is probably the builder's model in what I assume is Holland Amerika livery. The second is certainly the ship itself, dazzle painted.

According to Williams, she was renamed Justicia as it was intended that she would eventually be handed over to the Cunard line as replacement for the Lusitania. However when she entered service in April 1917 she was under White Star Line management.

RM

14 hours ago, rolt968 said:

There are two photos (Page 80) in Wartime Disasters at Sea (David Williams). One is of what is probably the builder's model in what I assume is Holland Amerika livery. The second is certainly the ship itself, dazzle painted.

According to Williams, she was renamed Justicia as it was intended that she would eventually be handed over to the Cunard line as replacement for the Lusitania. However when she entered service in April 1917 she was under White Star Line management.

RM

Thank you, though i am quite aware of this but do you by any chance know the story behind this photo?

9 hours ago, Skybedz said:

Thank you, though i am quite aware of this but do you by any chance know the story behind this photo?

Alas, no. Can you work out which company's livery it is? Presumably she was dazzle painted when she was sunk?

RM

16 hours ago, rolt968 said:

Alas, no. Can you work out which company's livery it is? Presumably she was dazzle painted when she was sunk?

RM

The problem is that this is how Statendam looked when laid up at H&W and details in the photo are lost due to the noise.
And yes she was sunk in dazzle

Here is a photo i colored.
Statendam is behind HMS Invincable with 433 behind Statendam

PicsArt_08-14-03.18.35.jpg

PicsArt_06-04-11.53.07.jpg

Edited by Skybedz
missing photos