Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VC hero – 1917 Palestine.

Kereina Peak

Hello there,

I am doing some research on a relative Pr. James Duffy (10th Irish Division, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers), who fought with Allenby in Palestine  in 1917 and won a VC for bravery on Dec 27 of that year. I'd love to find some information on the multiple men he saved as a stretcher bearer. Surely there must be some info about them in a newspaper from the time, names etc. Any ideas at all - much appreciated indeed. Thank you, peace.

S

Thank you! Where can you access these war diaries? I presume it is subscription-based?

20 minutes ago, Kereina Peak said:

Thank you! Where can you access these war diaries? I presume it is subscription-based?

Free to download once registered at the mo

Search results: 6 battalion Inniskilling | The National Archives

Ah! Not yet been digitised so needs a trip to Kew

Ordering and viewing options

This record has not been digitised and cannot be downloaded.

You can order records in advance to be ready for you when you visit Kew. You will need a reader's ticket to do this. Or, you can request a quotation for a copy to be sent to you.

31 Infantry Brigade: Headquarters (1917 Sept - 1920 Mar). 2 Battalion Royal Irish... | The National Archives

Edited by jonbem

thank you - were all those men listed stretcher bearers? Where exactly is this 'account' you talk of. or am I missing something. Thanks!

ah yes I have that - thank you Ivor! All the best to you!

The CWGC could at least give their first name - from Ancestry searches. The 'stretcher bearers' were probably just volunteers :

Patrick Quinlan 27722 was from Tipperary. His will is online: http://soldierswills.nationalarchives.ie/reels/sw/1918_22/QuinlanP_E544930.pdf

Patrick Clarke 29272 was born Knocknia, Co. Fermanagh.

Samuel Fisher 12872 was born in Westminster, London.

Frank Dyke 16790 was born Salford, Lancashire.

Alfred Clapperton 21523 was from Dearham, Cumberland (enlisted Maryport, Cumberland).

John Freeman Fowls 6130586 enlisted in London, formerly 29524, King's Royal Rifle Corps.

Owen Trumble 19918 was also English:

Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 14.40.49.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional information

The London Gazette of 10 April 1918 (& the 25th April) contain MM awards for Palestine inc. December 1917: 

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30622/supplement/4390

The 10th April LG has at least 2 6th R Innis Fus. MMs: 2494 Pte. William McGarry and 12728 Pte. Alexander Shaw.

They may be connected to the 27th December, but without the WD I cannot tell for sure? 

Edited by Ivor Anderson

What is an MM award?