Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walter Lloyd Reg #23210

Jo Savage

Hi

I'm doing some research for my husband and trying to find information on his great uncle, Walter Lloyd who was KIA 20 27 Nov 1917.

So far my research has been fruitless, I've only managed to find him on the Army Reg of Soldier' Effects (UK).  His wife was Elizabeth Buckley.

Any guidance, information, photo etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Jo

Edited by Jo Savage
Forgot to mention country

Hi Jo

First look at the Long Long Trail tab at top of page which has lots of research tips.

Please if you have it give us his DOB and where born, it does help

Also advise if you subscribe to such as Ancestry or FindMyPast

rgds

Jon

presume this is the man on CWGC so DOB around 1890

Lance Corporal Walter Lloyd | War Casualty Details | CWGC

LANCE CORPORALWalter Lloyd

Service Number: 23210
Regiment & Unit/Ship

Grenadier Guards

3rd Bn.

Date of Death

Died 27 November 1917

Age 27 years old

Buried or commemorated at

CAMBRAI MEMORIAL, LOUVERVAL

Panel 2.

France

Hopefully you will be able to register for National Archives and if so can download the war diary for free at the moment

Search results: 3 Battalion Grenadier Guards | The National Archives

Thank you.  Yes I do believe this is the correct man although some of the details are a little incorrect, in regards to mother's name etc (Louisa was his step mum).

I have FMP and Ancestry - that's where I found the information I have at hand, unfortunately I have been unable to unravel much more.

Thank you again for your help.

On Ancestry you can only save war diaries page by page, so if you can download the whole lot from Nat Archive its better, but I think here is October 1917 for 3 bn Grenadier Guards on Ancestry, scroll back/forth as needed

Ancestry.co.uk - UK, World War I War Diaries (France, Belgium and Germany), 1914-1920

Had a look at te war diary for that day and looks like not much happening, BUT!! on the pension record it says 5th Battalion????

Name: Walter Lloyd
Record Type: Card
Death Date: 27 Nov 1917
Service Number: 23210
Corps, Regiment or Unit: 5th Bn: Grenadier Guards
Title: WWI Pension Record Cards and Ledgers
Description: Other Ranks Died Lloyd E-Loader FW
Next of Kin:
Name Relation to Soldier
Walter Lloyd  
Elizabeth Lloyd Widow
Walter Edward Lloyd

14 minutes ago, jonbem said:

Had a look at te war diary for that day and looks like not much happening, BUT!! on the pension record it says 5th Battalion????

Name: Walter Lloyd
Record Type: Card
Death Date: 27 Nov 1917
Service Number: 23210
Corps, Regiment or Unit: 5th Bn: Grenadier Guards
Title: WWI Pension Record Cards and Ledgers
Description: Other Ranks Died Lloyd E-Loader FW
Next of Kin:
Name Relation to Soldier
Walter Lloyd  
Elizabeth Lloyd Widow
Walter Edward Lloyd

I don't think there was a 5th Battalion Grn Grds!

Guards Division - The Long, Long Trail (longlongtrail.co.uk)

2 hours ago, jonbem said:

Had a look at the war diary for that day and looks like not much happening

Apart from going into action at 6.20am... I'm guessing you looked at the wrong day Jon.

Narrative from 2nd Guards Brigade HQ war diary (WO 95/1218/5)

The attack began at 6.20am almost in darkness. The tanks crossed the line at approximately the correct time, but some were reported to be rather late. The first news received was at 7.40am when OC 3rd GG reported that his two left companies had entered the village of Fontaine, but that his two right companies had been held up by wire and machine guns from the right. Reports received later (8.40am) from O's C 3rd GG and 1st CG showed that both objectives had been taken, and that the station of Fontaine had been occupied, but that both battalions had suffered very heavy casualties, both battalions asked for support. The two right companies of 3rd GG on the south side of the main Cambrai road had been practically obliterated by machine guns from La Folie which our artillery failed to silence.

CWGC record 114 casualties for the battalion on this date (104 years ago today), 107 of these casualties, like Walter Lloyd, have no known grave, their names being remembered on the Cambrai Memorial.

The War Gratuity payment of £12 and 10 shillings suggests a date of enlistment in the month from 28th February 1915.

Ah sorry was looking at October! Ooops. here below November

image.png.a1b5eeb321200a0186d07f7241b717e5.png

Edited by jonbem

Good evening.

5th Batt. GG. was a UK based unit only for recovering casualties.  Pte. Walter Lloyd was 3rd GG.

Lt. Col. A. Thorne the of 3rd GG Commanding Officer left documents at the National Army Museum in London. 

On one list names have been selected to be trained for the 3rd Ypres attack on 31st July 1917.  A L/c Lloyd is allocated for

Rifle bombing trained as 2nd in command in No.4 platoon which would properly locate him in No. 1 Company 3rd GG.

My great uncle is named in No.15 platoon and he was in No.4 Company 3rd GG. It could be your relative. 

Couple of books to read. 

A Generation missing by Lt. Carroll Carstairs in the Battalion, and Medicine and Duty by Dr. Harold Dearden

he was the Battalion Medical Officer.  Hope this helps. Regards JM 

16 hours ago, Masters said:

Good evening.

5th Batt. GG. was a UK based unit only for recovering casualties.  Pte. Walter Lloyd was 3rd GG.

Lt. Col. A. Thorne the of 3rd GG Commanding Officer left documents at the National Army Museum in London. 

On one list names have been selected to be trained for the 3rd Ypres attack on 31st July 1917.  A L/c Lloyd is allocated for

Rifle bombing trained as 2nd in command in No.4 platoon which would properly locate him in No. 1 Company 3rd GG.

My great uncle is named in No.15 platoon and he was in No.4 Company 3rd GG. It could be your relative. 

Couple of books to read. 

A Generation missing by Lt. Carroll Carstairs in the Battalion, and Medicine and Duty by Dr. Harold Dearden

he was the Battalion Medical Officer.  Hope this helps. Regards JM 

Thank you, it's all so interesting yet sad at the same time.  It makes my blood run cold and my stomach to churn when I read about what these poor soldiers went through :(