Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books on China coast piracy Great War era?

yperman

Good morning, 

Can any member suggest titles on Chinese coastal piracy c. 1900 to 1920? Although it was endemic in the War  I can find very little on it. ( I am looking at newspapers). All help gratefully received!

Yperman

There is a book "Yangtze Patrol" by Kemp Tolley that deals with the USN in China look this book up on Amazon and you will find more books on this topic

16 hours ago, James A Pratt III said:

There is a book "Yangtze Patrol" by Kemp Tolley that deals with the USN in China look this book up on Amazon and you will find more books on this topic

Thank you very much, I will try track a copy down. As you say the biblo will be very helpful. Yperman

Glad to be of help. You also might find the names of gunboats on the Yangtze and search for their names on wiki and hope they list the sources. I think there is at least one book on British gunboats in China

Thanks again! I am especially interested in the Hong Kong coastal operations - white Russians were employed on some liners. There is a thesis  about anti-piracy operations  in the vicinity of Hong Kong  referred to on Amazon but I will see if the library of congress has an online copy first..

On China Station: Gunboat Diplomacy in China steelnavy.com includes names of gunboats and also has a short bibliography

THE SAND PEBBLES (Fiction), Richard McKenna, Harper & Row, 1962.

GUNBOATS AND MARINES, Bernard Cole, University of Delaware Press, 1983.

FAR CHINA STATION, Robert E. Johnson, Naval Institute Press, 1979.

THE ROYAL NAVY AND THE SINO-JAPANESE INCIDENT 1937-41, Martin H. Brice, Ian Allan, 1973.

YANGTZE PATROL, Kemp Tolley, Naval Institute Press, 1971.

LES CANONNIERES DE CHINE 1900-1945, Bernard Estival, Marines Editions, 1994.

HOSTAGE ON THE YANGTZE, Malcolm H. Murfett, Naval Institute Press, 1991.

The following, available online might have something of relevance

Fiction based on personal experience: Yangtze Skipper, by Thomas Woodrooffe 1937. HathiTrust Digital Library. Set in 1919 Shanghai, Toby Warren is First Lieutenant on the "Beetle", a (fictious) Royal Navy river gunboat. The author served on HMS "Scarab" (river gunboat) in 1919-1920, and it is stated elsewhere, in respect of another book, that he wrote about things actually seen and experienced.
Note, this title may be the American title as it appears to be the same book as River of Golden Sand by Thomas Woodrooffe. A review of River of Golden Sand 

The True Glory : the Royal Navy, 1914-1939 by Max Arthur 1996 Archive.org Books to Borrow/Lending Library. Personal accounts. "Lieutenant Shannon Stevenson", page 231. He served on the Yangtze River gunboat HMS Bee, one of the Insect class, one of about a dozen operating at the time, 1925-1927.

Maureen

Maureene

On 03/12/2021 at 01:09, MaureenE said:

On China Station: Gunboat Diplomacy in China steelnavy.com includes names of gunboats and also has a short bibliography

THE SAND PEBBLES (Fiction), Richard McKenna, Harper & Row, 1962.

GUNBOATS AND MARINES, Bernard Cole, University of Delaware Press, 1983.

FAR CHINA STATION, Robert E. Johnson, Naval Institute Press, 1979.

THE ROYAL NAVY AND THE SINO-JAPANESE INCIDENT 1937-41, Martin H. Brice, Ian Allan, 1973.

YANGTZE PATROL, Kemp Tolley, Naval Institute Press, 1971.

LES CANONNIERES DE CHINE 1900-1945, Bernard Estival, Marines Editions, 1994.

HOSTAGE ON THE YANGTZE, Malcolm H. Murfett, Naval Institute Press, 1991.

MaureenE thank you very much for your trouble. I will get "on the case". Far China Station especially looks promising. yperman

59 minutes ago, yperman said:

Far China Station especially looks promising. yperman

I have found Far China Station online

Far China Station : the U.S. Navy in Asian Waters, 1800-1898 by Robert Irwin Johnson 2013, first published 1979. Archive.org Books to Borrow/Lending Library.

I have added this to the FIBIS Fibiwiki page China https://wiki.fibis.org/w/China. Perhaps some of the online newspapers listed on the Fibiwiki page may be of interest.

There is also page for Hong Kong https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Hong_Kong

Maureen