Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Decipher the rest of Thomas S Gillies' medal card

hipster01cg

Hi!

I need help deciphering the rest of this card. From what i can tell it's Thomas Gillies with alias T.S. and that's why he has two cards.

He was a private in the Ayrshire Yeomanry who are part of the Corps of Hussars, they were merged into a brigade of the Royal Scots Fusiliers. In medal 2 card it looks like he goes back the Ayrshire Yeomanry, can't tell if he's a different rank. 

I see the three medals he got, victoey, ww1 medal and the 1914-1915 star.

He entered war in 09/10/1915 which means he missed Gallipoli and his first campaign was Egypt.

Thats as much as a i can decipher.

So this follows is all the stuff i can't decipher

Rank next to the last Ayr Yeo
x T.Eff AO (177) of 1924

Dis 11-4-16

remarks ...initials for T.E.M. "T.S." Auth of
x 20449/GGlo (Roll)
col/66/1322

07/C Car Rees submits R.7 E563 re T EFF medal
x/29.2.24

AFB 104-117 T.E.M. 27/06/1924

Any help or context would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Cat

medal card 1.jpg

medal card 2.jpg

Also i think the T Eff might be something to do with the Territorial Efficiency Medal but you only get if you've served 12 years in the TA.

Does the date of entry mean the war or when you entered the army?

7 minutes ago, hipster01cg said:

I need help deciphering the rest of this card. From what i can tell it's Thomas Gillies with alias T.S. and that's why he has two cards.

Most likely not an alias in the case - more likely that one record was opened in the initials, and one in the full first name.

Craig

1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

Most likely not an alias in the case - more likely that one record was opened in the initials, and one in the full first name.

Craig

Yes his name was Thomas Stewart Gillies, that would make sense.

1 minute ago, hipster01cg said:

Also i think the T Eff might be something to do with the Territorial Efficiency Medal but you only get if you've served 12 years in the TA.

Does the date of entry mean the war or when you entered the army?

Date of entry is when he entered a theatre of war.,

During the war each year's service counted double for the Territorial Efficiency Medal.

Craig

Rank next to the last Ayr Yeo

Trooper

T.Eff

Territorial Efficiency Medal

AO (177) of 1924

Army Order No 177 of 1924

Dis 11-4-16

Discharged 11/4/1916

remarks ...initials for T.E.M.

The correct initials to be engraved on theTerritorial Efficiency Medal are "T.S."

image.jpeg.21fcbc13ace03e396d8b21b92a6120a6.jpeg 20449 -The number to be stamped on his medal.

/GGlo (Roll) col/66/1322

Because the boss says so.

His name is Thomas, his initials TS. The authority issuing one set of medals used his name on his card, the other authority used his initials. Not an alias at all. After issuing 2 cards, the error was noted by the authorities who wrote -refer to orher card on one.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

1 minute ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Dis 11-4-16

Discharged 11/4/1916

It looks like, from the service numbers, that he either rejoined voluntarily or was conscripted after this.

Craig

5 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

It looks like, from the service numbers, that he either rejoined voluntarily or was conscripted after this.

Craig

Yeah i was going to say if they put him up for a TEM he would have to serve more than a year and since the Royal Scots Fusilers battalion merger happened after April 1916 he must have either rejoined or was conscripted. Though given that he signed up before conscription the first time.i'd say rejoined.

22 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

If he was TF at this time it would be 'Disembodied'?

I looked at the medal rolls and its abbreviated as Dis but others have Disem so i think it's likely discharged.

Medal roll says discharged 392.12 (actually reads 21 not 12) which I've gleand from another post as:

Ignore this bit 'With less than 21 years service towards engagement, but with 21 or more years service towards pension'.

1/1 Ayrshire Yeomany did go to Gallipoli 2 days after his arrival in the Egypt theatre. They were at Mudros 11/10/15 and I'm not sure if that would count as the Egypt or Gallipoli theatre.

TEW

Edited by TEW

Whoops, wrong para 392, should be 21 which is:

The termination of his ___ period of engagement.

TEW