Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any idea of regimental marks on hookie

kmad

Hi . I picked this up over weekend, a hookie, which I am delighted to own. I don’t  collect British bayonets and would not pay retail so to get this for 50 euro was good I feel? I picked up in Ireland and I am wondering if this might give some pointers as to the markings on pommel, I know it is enfield 1909 manafacture. I read DF and under neath R 656 so the R number would be Rack  number but what might DF be? I would love it to be Dublin Fusileers, But there should be an R which I can’t make out, preceding the DF. Or perhaps there was an R which is no longer legible

Any other guesses? sorry about bad pics I will try again later.

if anyone has a tatty scabbard please pm me as I would love to match up it’s a scabbard in similar worn condition. Not necessarily looking for an early model scabbard.

regards to all

ken

EE26F672-BB4F-43BD-9F20-C173DE2A8AAD.jpeg

CA921141-3FD5-415A-A00F-267D45A3DDB5.jpeg

608B296A-4304-4F1E-9795-3CE7B41B0788.jpeg

EEEB7822-9B70-4AD2-BEBA-CC25956DF436.jpeg

41C273D1-46B7-47B4-A910-6287E4890E54.jpeg

6436E94C-0939-474B-AD8B-2E9CF95FEFE2.jpeg

(Royal) Dublin Fusilers, with a 'Reserve'unit mark in front of the serial number

Julian

Good question! But it was just a thought...;) 

I am pretty certain on the Dublin Fusiliers though. IIRC, only Fusilier regiments had an 'F' at the end of the regimental abbreviation, and if that's a 'D' before it, then Dublin Fusiliers it is. 

Julian

Edited by trajan

Thanks Julian and Dave for confirming what I hoped, I got lucky, how it was not spotted at an open auction is beyond me. A classic piece, I was just talking to a mate last week how I never have had a hookie and then this falls my way.

Into the keeper section of my collection it goes.

If anyone has a scabbard of any sort that might fit, please drop me a PM.

regards

ken

You will need a tear-drop shaped frog stud on the scabbard to 'match' the period these HQ's were issued.

Julian

Thanks all,

I see Spandau have a selection of appropriate scabbards, the scabbard will cost more than the bayonet but good to get the package complete.

Regards

Ken  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Thanks for the heads up on the scabbards, I got a perfect match (early model  P07)  delivered on Saturday from Spandau,  so my Hookie is all snugly  in a scabbard again

Regards,

Ken 

23 hours ago, kmad said:

Hi All

Thanks for the heads up on the scabbards, I got a perfect match (early model  P07)  delivered on Saturday from Spandau,  so my Hookie is all snugly  in a scabbard again

Regards,

Ken 

Must admit, showing my age, but I did a double take on that 'Spandau', which I always associate with a Heer A,Speer...!!!