Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recommended First-Person Account of Stretcher Bearing WWI

Kereina Peak

Hello there! 

A family member was a stretcher bearer in the great war and for research purposes I am trying to understand the utter hell it must have been. Any good dairies or first hand accounts you can recommend? I am particularly interested in the Gallipoli, Salonika and Allenby's Palestine push. 

Thanks so much!

Shaun

Wrong theatre I'm afraid but there is an online memoir of a Sgt. Stretcher Bearer RAMC at Wellcome Collection.

I did some background research on the man and it's not who they say it is! He was John Henry Cranham.

It's a memoir written up circa 1960s but I compared his sketches of posts with those from diaries which show a very good recollection.

https://wellcomecollection.org/works/ej9b77xc

There's an online reader and a pdf download, the latter is a bit low-res and is not easy on the eyes after a while.

TEW

Thank you very much!

A couple of classic accounts are J.H.Newton’s ‘A Stretcher Bearer’s Diary’ published in 1931 & Frank Dunham’s ‘The Long Carry’. The former is rare but the other should be easy to find.

There are some mentions in Gaskell's account of the Royal Marines Medical Unit at Gallipoli - I don't have it to hand at the moment but I'll post a copy asap.

seaJane

Thank you so much. Very much appreciate that. 

• 3 weeks later...