Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CEYLON VOLUNTEER SERVICE MEDAL

topdeer

Can anyone tell me where I can find the medal index card for the Ceylon Volunteer Services Medal? As I have one to a Robert Harold Semmence 

• Admin

The medal index cards refer to the medal rolls for the British Army.  Ceylon was the only country within the Empire that issued its own medal.  There is a Roll for this medal, apparently, but no-one seems to have foundd it. I believe it is held somewhere in the "Sri Lanka National Archives" but it does not appear anyone has access, neither is it readily apparent on a search of the website 

It has been previously discussed on GWF.

As  Ken said above

as an aside Semmence returned to the UK during the war he joined the RFC/RAF he has officer  service papers which can be found at the National Archives  (you would have to view them in person)  I understand there is a RAF service record for him in fold 3 unfortunatly I dont subscribe to fold 3 so cannot assist there

30850_A001389-00236.jpg.b4189736c1ba9cbf57ed7070f20e65c0.jpg

Ray

I have got all of them it is just the medal roll for the Ceylon Volunteer Services Medal I am looking for

Thank you

Andy

Major Anton Edema has an interest in the military in Ceylon in the British period. There are some links from the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Ceylon  https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Ceylon#External_links which you could look through to see if there is anything relevant, including Further documents by Anton Edema on scribd.com.

If there is nothing relevant, perhaps you could attempt to contact Major Edema by social media, (but I do not know if he is still alive). Given his interest, if he hasn't researched the medal roll you are interested in, perhaps it doesn't exist anymore. I agree with kenf48, that if it exits, it would be a Sri Lanka document, not available in British Archives.

Maureen