Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

43809 Pte Kershaw success story

Interested

In September 2018 in a thread on Spanish Flu I posted a message regarding Pte Kershaw of the Manchester Regiment; he'd been hospitalised for 2 months in mid 1918.  He was subsequently KIA on the first day of the Battle of the Canal du Nord, 27th September 1918.

About 3 weeks ago his Victory Medal was spotted in a dealers in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, purchased and posted to my wife, Pte Kershaw's great niece.  It is likely that his younger sister Elizabeth took it with her when she emigrated to Canada after the cessation of hostilities.

If it hadn't been for this Forum we would never have become custodians of this award, so, thanks everyone.

• Admin

That’s brilliant news, the forum comes up trumps. 

What a lovely result.

Glad it's being appreciated again by a family member  

Derek. 

What a great result for you. I have (more by accident than anything) been involved in re-uniting 2 families with their lost ancestors medals, a nice feeling, though only if the recipients family aren’t likely to flog them the following day on a website somewhere.

I’d love to see my grandads medals though believe they got binned upon his death in the early ‘40’s.

Simon

Well, we achieved our 15 minutes of fame today.

The Canadian Broadcasting Company have posted the story on their website - you might find it interesting.

London, Ont., man finds and returns WW1 Victory Medal to relatives in England | CBC News

The radio broadcast was earlier this morning (Canada time) too.

(I don't think posting this breaks the Forum rules; if it does, please delete ASAP, thanks).