Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification Material

Owen

The equipment I would believe to have been salvaged 

what does it says on the burial return 

please posted the deatails ie name, rank, service number, battalion, regiment. Also plot row and graves details 

11 minutes ago, Owen said:

The CWGC Concentration report for Cpl H O Cook is below.

HOCook_Concentration-small.JPG.35c04368357e9ee387c80e0c0d0cd8c4.JPG

As the document states ‘were any effects forwarded to base’ 

so the mess tins, would have gone for identification but would have not been buried with the bodys

The mess tins may have been included originally to aid later identification.

The likelihood is that they were army issued equipment and not part of his personal effects.

I see his service record has : Buried B1056, sheet 6. This could be either burial but I suspect the re-burial.

There is an undated note regarding effects sent to NOK I think this is May 1917, these are personal effects from his kit which were shipped back. No mess tins.

Then a 1928 letter regarding his discovery and re-burial. No mention of mess tins.

Then a COG report which does mention the mess tins, the form suggests that effects & form should be forwarded to Effects Branch, London. This is a different address that sent his personal effects to Australia in 1917

Seems unnecessary to send army issue mess tins to London but who knows?

Sad part of this story is that his wife was informed he was wounded two months after she had been informed of his death. She wrote in hoping the death information was a mistake.

TEW

I also note the flowery signature of Richard Stiles as the identifying (IWGC) officer just prior to his departure from the commission.