Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reforming of the 10th Indian Division after the Armistice

ddycher

All

Have been reading the “Post office of India in the Great War” and came across a ref to the 10th Indian Division being reformed briefly after the Armistice to garrison northern Egypt.

The history states that the 7th Div were in Syria (knew that), 3rd Div in Palestine (knew that), 75th Div guarding the canal (knew that) and the “10th Div. recently reformed with Indian troops, were detailed to look after upper Egypt” (huh ?)

Have long been interested in the Canal Defence Staff and the 10th and 11th Indian Divisions in Egypt but had never come across a reference previously for the 10th Division ever being reformed. I had always assumed that the 10th had disappeared before Wilson’s brief tenure in command of the consolidated IEF E before his departure to the UK.

Anybody have anything on this ? Does not feature in any of my other reference materials.

Regards

Dave

It wasn't 10th Indian Division but 10th Division from Salonika in 1917. The Indian element increasing due to the demobilization of UK troops. You also had 53rd and 54th Divisions in the Army of Occupation plus 3rd and 4th Cavalry Divisions in Palestine.

So I am looking at the indianization of the British 10th Div. Makes more sense David. Thank you.

regards

Dave