Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Army BWM and VM

Simon Fowler

I have medals and ribbons for the classic set. The name on the rim is 2501 RFMN Fateh Sing Rabat 39 RGR (Royal Garwhal Rifles). The title Royal was awarded to the regiment in 1921 which suggests it was issued after then. I can't find a MIC. Any ideas?  Thanks

You are unlikely to discover a Medal Issue Card to an Indian Medal recipient, especially if you are using Ancestry. The MIC's shown on Ancestry came from the Western Front Association who did not receive all the cards when they took them from the MOD.

Prior to the MOD handover, only the fronts of the cards were scanned by the National Archives, in B&W which included cards to women and some Indians. I think the cards to women were handed to the Imperial War Museum by the MOD possibly together with the few cards to Indians.

I have had a quick look on the National Archives website but cannot see your man. His MIC was probably destroyed after the British left India in 1947, or his card is hidden in a store somewhere in India. 

I am uncertain why some Indian MICs appear in the National Archive's sMIC set, but the ones I have looked at include General Service Medals for Iraq; Persia etc as well as WW1 Medals, but they may have produced in the UK. Most of the Indian WW1 medals were struck by the Calcutta Mint, hence the cards and medal rolls probably never came anywhere near the UK.

Calcutta Mint British War Medals are easy to spot, when compare with a British manufactured one. The suspender base, where it is pinned to the disc, is larger in Calcutta Mint examples.

I understand that the Indian National Records Office in New Delhi, India is being redeveloped so the Indian MICs may turn up yet, but I would not hold your breath.

Sepoy