Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Figuring out what action is described

tankengine888

G'day/Hello!
I had a Great Uncle who was interviewed about his family and his service in WW2. During this, he talks about 2 uncles, one who died at Gallipoli, another who rose to the rank of Lieutenant in the 9th Light Horse. This Lieutenant describes his action "during ww2" albeit I think it was WW1 as I see no record of him during WW2, plus I don't know if horses were used in WW2 by Australians!
Here is what he says:
Uncle Ben (Vincent Kearn/Kiern McNamara) and Uncle Jim, Uncle Jim (James Stevens McNamara, 661. August 1915) was killed in Gallipoli. Because they were too Uncles and two good soldiers, Uncle Ben started as a corporal and ended up as a ‘two pip’ officer [lieutenant]...

(INTERVIEWER) We can talk more about that wartime when we come to it. I’d just like to know more about Uncle Jim, what did he tell you about the war?

(GREAT UNCLE) Not a lot, he talked about the charge they did outside Aleppo there, where they all charged, they marched three miles off their horses and marched with their horses and with their chaff bags and all so their horse could get a bit of. 

When it got close enough to this place to charge there army, that were in there. They all got back on their horses gave them a good feed and they charged the last, exactly what was hard to say, I couldn’t really get him down to it. But to say this, I used to make my own combat, now how far did they charge, well, it couldn’t have been three miles because the horse would have been too tired

for the last bit, jumping over bridges and stuff and over creeks as they charged in, but they all charged in and it was surprising that they lost only so few fellers. He told me about the casualties and that. Then they just took over the whole town. If the fellers, if they didn’t surrender and say ‘camerade’ which is surrounded, then they just gave themselves up and no more was done. They pushed them off, sent them away somewhere.

But that was one of our first wins of the war, the second AIF, went down in history as a famous charge.

https://australiansatwarfilmarchive.unsw.edu.au/archive/1739-vincent-mcnamara
First tape, 36:30

Mate,

Will need to look deeper here but I show these men by that name with the 9th ALHR.

McNAMARA    Edmund Thomas    R2405    Pte    9 LHR    19R tos 12Co/3Bn ICC 9-16 rtn 9 LHR 3-17 disch 25-11-18 MU epilepsy Ex 7R/10Bn (2405) Tos 9-15 to 9 LHR 9-15 (G) RTA MU hernia    N/R    Labourer    31    Coramandel Valley SA    17-3-15    RTA 21-1-16 RTA 30-8-18    Coramandel Valley SA

McNAMARA    Thomas Benedict    2305    Pte    9 LHR    16R to 3 LHTR 6-16 tos 3 LH MGS 8-16 to hosp (influ) 1-17 rtn 5-17 WIA 30-4-18 minor reported during advance and fighting at Jisr ed Demieh near El Salt to hosp (malaria) 12-18 rtn 2-19 to hosp (malaria) 5-19 RTA MU    N/R    Labourer    25    Emu Downs via Eudunda SA    6-12-15    RTA 10-7-19    Emu Downs via Eudunda SA

McNAMARA    Vincent Kiern    1875    Pte    9 LHR    13R tos A Sqn A Troop 2-16 to Cpl BSqn/3 LHTR 3-16 to T/Sgt 10-16 revert rtn 2-17 to T/Sgt A Sqn (from HC Smith) 9-18 revert 11-18 to T/Sgt 1-19 prom 2/Lt education 2-4-19    N/R    Teacher    21    Peake SA    29-9-15    RTA 10-7-19    Moockra SA

McNAMARA    William    80    Cpl    9 LHR    A Sqn to L/Sgt 5-15 to Sgt (from willoughby KIA) 8-15 (G) to hosp (mumps) 1-16 rtn 2-16 to hosp (appendix) 3-17 RTA MU enlarged liver dyspepsia & appendix disch 14-6-18 (Blackwood C Troop ASqn/22 LH CMF 5 years)    22 LH    Teamster    27    Blackwood via Coromandel SA    14-9-14    RTA 12-11-17    Blackwood via Coromandel SA

James Steve McNamara was KIA with the 2Bn AIF a NSW raised Bn where the 9 LHR was raised in SA (South Australia and Victoria)?

I will check the diaries and other sourses to see what they were doing around Aleppo late 1918 to make a charge

A few ALH Regts were doing a lot of this at that time, as they tried to ride down escaping Turks and Germans before they could form any defences

The 10th LHR was known for this trying out there new swords during the last days of the war.

I;ll get back to you

S.B

2 minutes ago, stevebecker said:

Mate,

Will need to look deeper here but I show these men by that name with the 9th ALHR.

McNAMARA    Edmund Thomas    R2405    Pte    9 LHR    19R tos 12Co/3Bn ICC 9-16 rtn 9 LHR 3-17 disch 25-11-18 MU epilepsy Ex 7R/10Bn (2405) Tos 9-15 to 9 LHR 9-15 (G) RTA MU hernia    N/R    Labourer    31    Coramandel Valley SA    17-3-15    RTA 21-1-16 RTA 30-8-18    Coramandel Valley SA

McNAMARA    Thomas Benedict    2305    Pte    9 LHR    16R to 3 LHTR 6-16 tos 3 LH MGS 8-16 to hosp (influ) 1-17 rtn 5-17 WIA 30-4-18 minor reported during advance and fighting at Jisr ed Demieh near El Salt to hosp (malaria) 12-18 rtn 2-19 to hosp (malaria) 5-19 RTA MU    N/R    Labourer    25    Emu Downs via Eudunda SA    6-12-15    RTA 10-7-19    Emu Downs via Eudunda SA

McNAMARA    Vincent Kiern    1875    Pte    9 LHR    13R tos A Sqn A Troop 2-16 to Cpl BSqn/3 LHTR 3-16 to T/Sgt 10-16 revert rtn 2-17 to T/Sgt A Sqn (from HC Smith) 9-18 revert 11-18 to T/Sgt 1-19 prom 2/Lt education 2-4-19    N/R    Teacher    21    Peake SA    29-9-15    RTA 10-7-19    Moockra SA

McNAMARA    William    80    Cpl    9 LHR    A Sqn to L/Sgt 5-15 to Sgt (from willoughby KIA) 8-15 (G) to hosp (mumps) 1-16 rtn 2-16 to hosp (appendix) 3-17 RTA MU enlarged liver dyspepsia & appendix disch 14-6-18 (Blackwood C Troop ASqn/22 LH CMF 5 years)    22 LH    Teamster    27    Blackwood via Coromandel SA    14-9-14    RTA 12-11-17    Blackwood via Coromandel SA

James Steve McNamara was KIA with the 2Bn AIF a NSW raised Bn where the 9 LHR was raised in SA (South Australia and Victoria)?

I will check the diaries and other sourses to see what they were doing around Aleppo late 1918 to make a charge

A few ALH Regts were doing a lot of this at that time, as they tried to ride down escaping Turks and Germans before they could form any defences

The 10th LHR was known for this trying out there new swords during the last days of the war.

I;ll get back to you

S.B

All but Vincent I don't know unfortunately. Cheers for the names though. James Steven/Stephen McNamara was originally an SA, wonder why he went to NSW.. Could've been on business or something. Cheers for the rest. By chance, the same 10th that was basically nearly lost at the Nek in August 1915?

Mate,

For what I can gather by his statement after all those years you can expect his account to be a lot out, but the basics are right, so I'll go with that.

The Regt made a charge to cut off retreating Ottoman Troops around the villages of Khan Ayasm and Kubbet I Asafur.

A Sqn charged the Turks around the Village of Khan Ayasm and C Sqn charged those at Kubbet I Asafur.

This was the Morning of the 2nd Oct 1918 no far outside Damascus.

The Regt finished Oct and the war near Homs, not near Aleppo?

No other charges by the 9 LHR, was made during the remainder of the Month, so it maybe the one I gave?

Cheers

S.B

1 minute ago, stevebecker said:

Mate,

For what I can gather by his statement after all those years you can expect his account to be a lot out, but the basics are right, so I'll go with that.

The Regt made a charge to cut off retreating Ottoman Troops around the villages of Khan Ayasm and Kubbet I Asafur.

A Sqn charged the Turks around the Village of Khan Ayasm and C Sqn charged those at Kubbet I Asafur.

This was the Morning of the 2nd Oct 1918 no far outside Damascus.

The Regt finished Oct and the war near Homs, not near Aleppo?

No other charges by the 9 LHR, was made during the remainder of the Month, so it maybe the one I gave?

Cheers

S.B

Well, you've got a point. it's odd and that isn't it?

Oh yeah, at the end, he did say
"But that was one of our first wins of the war, the second AIF, went down in history as a famous charge"
Just incase you missed that ofcourse.
Cheers for this!

Mate,

Sorry but he seams confused here or is it me?

No the 9th ALHR made a number of charges during the war, and the last one was the one I mentioned in Oct 1918 not the first one?

Yes , WWII and WWI seams to be mixed in his mind here, hard to follow what he means.

S.B

6 minutes ago, stevebecker said:

Mate,

Sorry but he seams confused here or is it me?

No the 9th ALHR made a number of charges during the war, and the last one was the one I mentioned in Oct 1918 not the first one?

Yes , WWII and WWI seams to be mixed in his mind here, hard to follow what he means.

S.B

Yeah, he is confused more than likely. 
I understand what you mean.

I'm also confused.

The man giving the interview in 2004 is Vincent McNamara, born July 21st 1916.

He is telling second-hand some stories  of the Great War exploits of some ( ?2 ?4 ) of his uncles in the AIF in Palestine, presumably stories his uncles had told him over the years? So there are bound to be discrepancies I would imagine.

42 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I'm also confused.

The man giving the interview in 2004 is Vincent McNamara, born July 21st 1916.

He is telling second-hand some stories  of the Great War exploits of some ( ?2 ?4 ) of his uncles in the AIF in Palestine, presumably stories his uncles had told him over the years? So there are bound to be discrepancies I would imagine.

Have a point there. I mean, Vincent's memory is quite good looking at the interview, but yeah, second hand story. He talked about 2 uncles, 1 killed at Gallipoli, other went off the records after 1919, but doesn't mean he died shortly after his return to Australia. He is listed as an RSL member so yeah. Discrepancies are expected indeed.