Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital Ship St Andrew crew list and log

JonnyH

HMHS St Andrew arrived in Rouen to collect casualties on 27/08/1915 according to the base diary.

This is also the date of first entry into a theatre by my great grandfather who was a Territorial RAMC man.

His MIC also shows the theatre he first entered as H S - Hospital Ship I believe.

I have downloaded WO 95/4149/1 from TNA which is supposed to be the ships log/diary but it only covers Feb 1917 - Apr 1919.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where I can find an earlier log/diary and also where I might find a crew list?

18 hours ago, JonnyH said:

H S - Hospital Ship I believe.

HS=Hospital Ship is correct (not HMHS - note the log is WO not ADM). I can't see another WO 95 for the ship but there are some patient records on MH 106.

sJ

Somewhat pedantic I know, but St. Andrew’s role was more of a hospital carrier than a true hospital ship (in that it wasn’t expected to perform any surgerical,procedures, or provide medical treatments - its job was simply to transport casualties safely back to the U.K. from military hospitals in France). Seeing as the ship was primarily engaged in the repatriation of casualties from the Western Front, she was obviously a regular visitor to French ports.

MB

• 2 years later...

I know it's been over two years since JonnyH created this thread, but I've only just found it whilst researching the St. Andrew.

In case it's of interest I have a May 1918 photo of my grandfather on the deck of the St. Andrew along with other 34 other RAMC men, plus somewhat bizzarely a Siamese Prince named Chatramongol. It's card backed and remarkably clear and undamaged. All 36 men in the photo are named and positions/ranks noted.

Happy to share it if anyone wants to PM me their email address.

Ah, The prince was on board on 1 May 1918.

Edited by SteveF

Hospital Ship St Andrew 1 May 1918.jpg

My grandfather is Pte. Farmer, 3rd from right in the back row.

It's covered on page 48 of the TNA document.

Edited by SteveF