Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pension Card: Elizabeth Stephen, mother of two brothers, one kia, the other missing.

rolt968

Could more knowledgeable colleagues interpret the following pension card pleas?

432919206_StephenJohnStephen(26139).jpg.32138987c368eac0c62e716537ef47e7.jpg

John  Stephen, Pte., 21639, 12 Royal Scots was killed in action as the card says on 4 February 1916.

Henry Burness Stephen, Sgt., S/27418,  6 Cameron Highlanders (formerly 5662, 3/2 Lovat Scouts) was missing from 11 April 1917. He was presumed to have died (on or after 11 April 1917) in January/ February 1918.

Elizabeth Stephen, their mother died on 17 July 1917, while Henry was still officially missing. Her husband, Andrew Stephen had already died in 1915.

1. I know very little about Henry's service. I know that he was still serving with 3/2 Lovat Scouts when John was killed. Why has the reference to Henry been scored out?

2. Was Elizabeth being paid any allowance because Henry was missing?

Many thanks.

RM

9 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

2. Was Elizabeth being paid any allowance because Henry was missing?

Any separation allowance was paid for the 6 months or so until a default decision on death was presumed. (this, incidentally, is why you don't get war pensions being paid until around Feb 1915).

Craig

48 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Any separation allowance was paid for the 6 months or so until a default decision on death was presumed. (this, incidentally, is why you don't get war pensions being paid until around Feb 1915).

Craig

Thanks, Craig.

Can I draw any conclusions about the reference to Henry Burness Stephen, or its scoring out? I have been trying to match the writing with any other on the card, but it seems to be different from all the rest.

RM

Their pension could increase if there was more than one deceased son who contributed financially to the parents.  I don't think Henry was particularly relevant to the claim though as he was only recorded missing until after her death, she died before the minimum period of 6 months.

The card is a bit of a mess and I have a feeling that it doesn't show all the calculations.

Craig

44 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Their pension could increase if there was more than one deceased son who contributed financially to the parents.  I don't think Henry was particularly relevant to the claim though as he was only recorded missing until after her death, she died before the minimum period of 6 months.

The card is a bit of a mess and I have a feeling that it doesn't show all the calculations.

Craig

Thanks Craig

A vain hope it might provide some information about Henry Stephen's service.

RM