Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Disability and Medical help please

BillyH

This soldier has service papers which show that he was demobbed in 1919 and he was suffering from Malaria. However, a pension ledger card for him (courtest Fold3) only shows the disability shown below - which I can only interpret as T.B. Lung

Any other thoughts please?

BillyH.

gwf.jpg.ab772bf166bf57485102aa2dc0db5e13.jpg

Edited by BillyH

• Admin

I concur with your reading of it. 

• BillyH changed the title to Disability and Medical help please

Thanks Michelle.

So can I ask a medical expert (are you there Dai Bach?) if the symptoms of Malaria could be confused with Tuberulosis of the Lung?   . . . . .   and can anyone explain to this old fogey how to tag this post so that DBS will be alerted to it?

BillyH.

Edited by BillyH

Hi @BillyH

It's possible. Although TB Lung generally causes coughing (maybe of blood), it can cause an insiduous illness resulting in weight loss, and intermittent temperatures. Symptoms of PUO can be caused by 1001 diseases, of which TB and malaria are only 2.

5 hours ago, BillyH said:

and can anyone explain to this old fogey how to tag this post so that DBS will be alerted to it?

In the reply box, start typing with the @ symbol, then (without a space) the first few letters of the person you're attempting to summon.

eg. typing @dai will bring up a pop-up with the username of  every GWF member that begins with 'dai'.

Tap on the one you want, it'll insert into your post in blue. That automatically summons the genie.

16 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Have you considered he may have got over his malaria?

Thanks Terry. This man served in Salonika. He was demobbed in April 1919 and his discharge papers show that he was awarded a small pension due to Malaria.

A pension ledger card for him (definitely the same man) shows T.B. Lung. I have found a suitable death record for him at Dublin in 1928 (and the ledger card seems to suggest that as well). So I am just wondering if he could have been mis-diagnosed in 1919.

14 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

It's possible. Although TB Lung generally causes coughing (maybe of blood), it can cause an insiduous illness resulting in weight loss, and intermittent temperatures. Symptoms of PUO can be caused by 1001 diseases, of which TB and malaria are only 2.

Thanks for that Dai (and for the I.T. tuition :thumbsup:)

BillyH.

Edited by BillyH

24 minutes ago, BillyH said:

Thanks Terry. This man served in Salonika. He was demobbed in April 1919 and his discharge papers show that he was awarded a small pension due to Malaria.

A pension ledger card for him (definitely the same man) shows T.B. Lung. I have found a suitable death record for him at Dublin in 1928 (and the ledger card seems to suggest that as well). So I am just wondering if he could have been mis-diagnosed in 1919.

Thanks for that Dai (and for the I.T. tuition :thumbsup:)

BillyH.

Who is the man?

There's a chance that there was either a different issue or a new opinion on an existing illness. The ledger may also have been created a while after the discharge took place.

Craig

Thanks Craig,

There is too much info to attach here, some of it private, so I will PM you if you don't mind.

BillyH.