Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

When and Where were the earliest VADetachments set up in Ireland?

monkstown

I think the Irish VADetachments were divided into two groups - Ulster and Leinster/Munster/Connaught. Can anyone please enlighten me as to when and where the Leinster/Munster/Connaught Detachments were first set up (and direct me towards any relevant literature re/sources of numbers, if possible, too please)? 

Many thanks

Discovered a previous (2009) post this morning mentioning the book below (along with Sue Light's helpful comments  :().   

BRITAIN S CIVILIAN

VOLUNTEERS

AUTHORIZED STORY OF BRITISH VOLUNTARY

AID DETACHMENT WORK IN THE

GREAT WAR

BY

THEKLA BOWSER, F.J.I.

Serving Sister of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem

TORONTO

MCCLELLAND, GOODCHILD & STEWART, LTD.

heres the link if you are interested or dont already have it :D

http://www.archive.org/stream/britainscivi...wsuoft_djvu.txt

Hi Monkstown,

You've probably seen much of the Ulster references in the context of the pre-war mobilisation in other contexts.

For other parts of Ireland you'll probably have found the University of Dublin VADs (i.e. Trinity College) date to some time in 1911.

An interesting example below (via FMP) is the Pembroke VADs in 1915. It's claimed that they've a specific link to the South Irish Horse, which was in effect a reserve cavalry regiment.

675099243_1915_04.02IrishTimesVADs.png.a295b937e522eba8305e8dc148579691.png

Another example is a more general call that went out in 1915. In this particular example, in the Kilkenny Moderator and Leinster Advertiser, was almost identical to the text used in dozens of other local newspapers. However, perhaps the contact name might help bring other material to light.

878395390_1915_09.18KilkennyModeratorLeinsterAdvtsrVADs.png.28adf288a5675278fc13ea520eed591d.png

Don't forget that many Irish VADs ended up in English hospitals, e.g. I recall Manchester receiving specific mention, so don't expect to see everything in terms of local deployment.

Best of luck with your research!

Thanks very much for all that, Airshipped. Very helpful.