Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ARMENTIERES

Piscator

I've looked through a number of books but cant seem to find out what was going on in this area, there seems to be a lot of generalisation but not much else. Can anyone throw alittle light on the theatre in question?

Len

Hi Len

The race to the sea reached the Armentiers area about the 18th Oct. 1914, when 17th & 18th Brigades advanced towards Perenchies, le Paradis & La Vallee to ascertain the German strenght. The fighting became intense over the following days and the 6th Division was hard pressed. The Division did fall back a little and by the 26th Oct. 1914 their line ran from about Touquet to Rue de Bois then to flank with 4th Division (I can not find where that flank was at moment, hopefully someone else as it at hand). After this time the fighting at Armentiers died down and it became a quite area. There were small fights but it was not until 1918 that fighting at Armentiers became intense. Hopefully someone else will give info on 1918 fighting, as I do not have time to look up Official History for details sorry.

Annette

Many thanks Paul & Annette, the smokes lifted a little,now i've some idea who was involved in that area I can investigate a bit further.

Len

Hi Len,

The line held by 17th Brigade was taken over by 4th Div on 23/24th October 1914 (Rue de Bois to Epinette). 4th Div line then ran from Rue de Bois and continued North past Frelinghien and across the River Lys.

16th and 18th Brigades still held the line from Touquet to Rue de Bois.

Previously on Oct 18th, 6th Div drew level with 4th Div and attacked on a line of the Le Bizet - Le Touquet road towards the R. Lys. Lots of small but heavy actions around this area at this time and 6th Div suffered a lot of casualties.

Regards, Pete.

There was this girl, see. and you won't believe it but........................

There was at least one Mamselle from Armentières and she seems to have been quite a girl.

I remember going to see a small cemetary near Armentiere with a tower and some inscriptions. The memorial is quite recent I think.

Was that related to the early fighting or the late fighting?