Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who owns the medals

Ann Chinsang

Hi 

I'm hoping someone can help on this, although this is WW2, I'm 'assuming' the legalities would remain the same.  

My Grandfather passed away never having claimed his medals, some years later my Gran gave my Mum his pay book and corporals flash and said, keep these safely and you can always apply for his medals if you want.

Even more years after that, Gran had passed and Mum was left the eldest sibling.  Mums younger brothers had ever mentioned Grandads medals so Mum applied for them.  That seems to have been when the proverbial hit the fan and her second youngest brother wanted them for his son. Mum held onto them and things went quiet.

Mum passed away and they were left in her estate for my Dad to care for.  Dad passed away and they were left in his estate to me.  I've worn them every armistice day since Mum passed as she always wore them.

I put a post on social media about how proud I was to wear my Grandads medals yet again for the parade and seems my cousin was told of it.  He is now 'Demanding' I hand them over as I don't bear the same surname as him or my Grandad (yes I'm female) he says his Father and him are the only ones entitled to the medals as they have the family name and my Mum should never have applied for them as she changed her name when she married my Dad so was no longer 'direct family'. (bit harsh that)

My cousin has no children so no one to pass these to, he's never attended a armistice day parade in his life so if he passed with them in his possession they would be taken by his girl friend. 

According to him, they should not go to the female side of the family but only the male as the family name is with them.  He never met my Grandad and I'm as much a blood member of the family as he is, just female like my Mum so when we marry we change our names. 

these medals have now been in this side of the family for in excess of 20 years, they are framed with Grandads regimental badge and his medal ribbons and mounted on the wall with all the other family medals I've been lucky enough to be left.  So you could say as I've all the others why don't I give him those ones, but as Mum was the eldest surviving sibling she had a right to apply for them and leave them to who she wanted surely?  And surely this thing about they can only go to the male side of the family is grossly archaic chauvinism. 

I cant find anything that says I'm not entitled to carry on looking after these until I pass and then they are in my will for my Son. 

• DavidOwen locked this topic