Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Croix de guerre

Ardel

I recently got my grandfather’s medals. He was in the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders and fought throughout the war in their campaigns. Among his medals is a Croix de Guerre that was given to him. I don’t think it was official, but was given for helping the locals in their time of need. Should this medal be worn with his official ones. 

Ardel,

Have you checked the London Gazette announcements for foreign awards ?

Post his details and someone may shed some light on this.

I believe that not all awards of foreign medals were announced in the London Gazette but it is worth a look up. 

Cheers,

Tom.

Forum member Foreign Gong appears to have great knowledge of overseas gallantry medals awarded to allied forces, it's a shame I don't know how to tag him.

Simon

16 hours ago, Ardel said:

my grandfather’s medals. He was in the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders

Ardel could you perhaps share a name and service number with us so that we can carry out a search to see what turns up?

George

Hi George, thanks for your interest. I was speaking to my brother and he confirmed the story of the medal. It belonged to a French man, and he gave it to my grandfather because he was so grateful for the help he had given his family. My grandfather had been a batman to Ian Hay who was a well known author The First Hundred Thousand.