Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tribunals

Penparcau

In a recent book on the effect of the war on Ceredigion (formerly Cardiganshire), it is stated that no women served on the local or county tribunals. Is this true of other counties?

1 hour ago, Penparcau said:

In a recent book on the effect of the war on Ceredigion (formerly Cardiganshire), it is stated that no women served on the local or county tribunals. Is this true of other counties?

I haven't seen the names of any women on local tribunals.

It's not my area of knowledge, but you might find this useful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_Disqualification_(Removal)_Act_1919

I see that Emma Conns became an LCC Alderman in 1889, but was not allowed (by law!) to vote in council divisions.

RM

My understanding is that The Local Government Board delegated responsibility for the make up of Local Tribunals to the local authority in each of the registration districts. Advice about how to interpret the regulations of the Military Service Act including the make up of the tribunals were contained in circulars sent to each local authority.

The advice was sometimes rather vague but basically it permitted women to be appointed to the Local Tribunal but this was at the discretion of the local authority. Likewise a representative of the labour movement (unions) was also advised but in reality often ignored. 

The workings of the tribunals were the subject of significant complaint during the war particulary because of the partisan nature of their decisions as well as the often cavalier attitude in interpreting the legislation.