Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lance Corporal Morgan Jones Jenkins identified

jaykayu

Grave location identified by the late Richard Laughton in December 2014 (Richard's report submitted in 2015 to CWGC).

Today, no one wants to give Richard any credit.

https://cefrg.ca/blog/lance-corporal-morgan-jones-jenkins/

Seems to be in progress details have been updated and waiting on replacement headstone. Lance Corporal Morgan Jones Jenkins | War Casualty Details | CWGC

I can update his Find a Grave memorial page and put your link in the bio!

Edited by david murdoch

4 hours ago, ejwalshe said:

Grave location identified by the late Richard Laughton in December 2014 (Richard's report submitted in 2015 to CWGC).

Yes, it is a shame that Richard is not named.  Over the years, when you read about rededication ceremonies for British Soldiers, the press release never mention the people who submitted the case in the first place.  

I contributed with Richard on a case of an officer of the Civil Service Rifles back in 2017.  

in November 2020 Tim and I were told that the case had been accepted and a year later no further contact has been made by the JCCC MOD to see if our names and contact can be given to the modern day next of kin.  

I wonder if the authorities, did mention Richard’s name when they contacted the next of kin.  

10 hours ago, LarsA said:

I must say I think it’s not par for the course for CWGC not to acknowledge Richard’s efforts on this and other cases. Shame!

ATB

Lars

It is a shame, however there are many people, as you know who look into the Unknown’s Burials. 

but when a service of rededication takes place, the press release by the JCCC and the CWGC, never mention the circumstances behind the discovery or the person’s name.  

what also is a shame, that another case Richard submitted in May 2017, was accepted by the authorities in November 2020 but nothing on the CWGC website about this.  

Maybe because it was an English officer and not a Canadian 

9 hours ago, ejwalshe said:

That's a nice page showing Richard's case for Lance Corporal Jenkins on your Canadian Expeditionary Force Research Group site.

@thetrenchrat22

"I wonder if the authorities, did mention Richard’s name when they contacted the next of kin. "

In this case, no. However, someone did contact the family yesterday, and spoke with them over the phone for about an hour.

The family confirmed they had never heard of Richard Laughton.

Much of the conversation concerned Richard's contributions to the family history of dozens of other Canadian families, and a few British too!

The family appreciates knowing it was our late friend responsible for the discovery, and already questions why it took so long, considering Richard first informed CWGC of the case in December 2014, submitting his report in 2015. 

@jaykayu

On behalf of Richard, thank you Sir!

9 hours ago, ejwalshe said:

@thetrenchrat22

"I wonder if the authorities, did mention Richard’s name when they contacted the next of kin. "

In this case, no. However, someone did contact the family yesterday, and spoke with them over the phone for about an hour.

The family confirmed they had never heard of Richard Laughton.

Much of the conversation concerned Richard's contributions to the family history of dozens of other Canadian families, and a few British too!

The family appreciates knowing it was our late friend responsible for the discovery, and already questions why it took so long, considering Richard first informed CWGC of the case in December 2014, submitting his report in 2015. 

It’s interesting that the Canadian authorities did not mention Richard’s when they made contact with the next of kin. 

it will be nice to know whose this person was, who made contact with Lance Corporal Jenkins family and reason behind it. 

of the cases I have had accepted, only 1 has had an rededication ceremony so far and the family had made contact with me as they wished to be put in contact with the researchers.  I did say to the JCCC at time giving my contact details, that I was happy for my name to be in the press release but it never did. 

Another case is due for rededication in March 2022, postponed from March 2020.  That family has no excuse for making contact with me, as the great nephew is a work colleague and it was him, who started the whole situation off in finding his Great Uncles grave 

On 18/11/2021 at 20:34, ejwalshe said:

and already questions why it took so long, considering Richard first informed CWGC of the case in December 2014, submitting his report in 2015. 

Is this the current length of time being taken for cases at present? 

Richard

It’s hard to say at the moment,  it really depends on the complexity of the cases and if it’s British, Canadian or Australian

On 21/11/2021 at 13:42, dickaren said:

Is this the current length of time being taken for cases at present? 

Richard

Richard

FYI this thread from April/May highlights how varied the length of time for cases can be (and how a case can be quicker when there is a will to do so!). Second Lieutenant Pike's case took just 2.5 years, but 2nd Lieutenant Hutton's case also at Larch Wood cemetery took 4+ years, yet their rededication ceremonies will be on the same day.  It appears Pike's case was moved up the list as he is also RFC/RAF like Hutton, and by having both ceremonies on the same day it will be more efficient and better use of resources and time etc.  

J

Edited by jaykayu
typo

Good Evening

Great news to hear that another one of Richard Laughtons cases has been successful. He was certainly passionate about trying to give these men a named graves.

The National Army Museum (NAM) is the pinch point. The cases that I have put forward have taken at least 3 years to come to a conclusion. There is only 1 person working at the NAM on the cases that have been cleared by the C W G C. So when she is on holiday or off sick the cases just pill up and take longer.

Regards

Andy            

The National Army Museum (NAM) is the pinch point. The cases that I have put forward have taken at least 3 years to cometo a conclusion. There is only 1 person working at the NAM on the cases that havebeen cleared by the C W G C. So when she ison holiday or off sick the cases just pill upand take longer.

Good statement but this subject was all over Twitter early this year.  It seems that The In From the Cold Project has been priority on cases being looked into.  This is confirmed that amount of cases on this forum being reported by them, especially in the last month.  

also, it was mentioned that the CWGC don’t drip feed the cases to the NAM but let the cases build up behind a dam and let the flood gates open