Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17 Military Medals in one day

VeraAnne

Hi,

When I only had a Gazette date for an M.M to Henry Winfield M.M. I never thought I would find out the exact place and time he won his medal.

However I did not know Ivor Anderson or his abilities! Ivor was able to find the names of 17 M.M.s to the regiment in the 1st Division War Diary 18/11/18 which I would never have found. Akinson's History notes that 17 M.M.s were awarded for the action on 19/10/18 near the Sambre Canal and bingo. I am pleased for Henry who had fought since August 1914 and must have been one of the very few still battling away at the very end.

One question leads to another. Reading Atkinson and the Batt. War Diary I was surprised this one day action led to such a large number of awards. Was this post War euphoria?

Ivor has also provided me with a long term project as I intend to find out as much of the stories of the 17 as I can.

Dave

Hi Dave,  'Flattery will get you anywhere'! :lol: 

The 17 MMs listed on 18th Nov 1918 (LG 17 June 1919) could well be for action on the 19th October 1918. The 1st SWB war diary should show what they were doing then: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7351919

The 1st Div A&QMG war diary also lists 10 MMs awarded to the SWB on 24 Sept 1918 (LG 11 Feb 1919) - for Battle of Amiens (August - early Sept), and 10 more MMs on 19 Oct 1918 (LG 14 May 1919) - for August September, along with similar numbers to other battalions in the 1st Division.

The number awarded reflected the scale and intensity of the action, and sadly often the casualties incurred by the unit. The 'Advance to Victory' actions were part of the large scale final push that won the war, and these MMs were often Corps level awards. They reflect the fluid nature of the rapidly changing situation and multiple engagements due to the speed of the advance.

1st Division A&QMG war diary Nov - Dec 1918: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14052619

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional information

Hi Ivor,

Thanks once again. I'm very happy with 17 on the 18th thanks to your list. I love the fact that he was living it up in Lincoln on Armistice Day. They must have sent them all off on leave very quickly!

Dave