Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Summer for War

DarrellDuthie

On the admittedly slim chance of encountering any Great War historical fiction buffs, I nevertheless present: A Summer for War. This meticulously researched novel charts the adventures of a fictitious Lieutenant Malcolm MacPhail of the 3rd Canadian Division during the very real events of the spring and summer of 1917 on the Douai Plain near Lens.

E-book (to pick your store) - https://books2read.com/u/mKw80L

Trade paperback:

Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/9492843218

Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/9492843218

Amazon CA: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/9492843218

Amazon AU: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/9492843218

Book Depository: https://www.bookdepository.com/Summer-for-War-Darrell-Duthie/9789492843210?

Waterstones: https://www.waterstones.com/book/a-summer-for-war/darrell-duthie/9789492843210

... and a whole host of others. Check your favourite store.

Hardcover to follow 1 March, 2022.

Feel free to throw any questions my way!

A Summer for  War Cover 3D.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

On 16/11/2021 at 11:39, DarrellDuthie said:

On the admittedly slim chance of encountering any Great War historical fiction buffs

I usually stay away from novels, including those set during the Great War, but may give this one a try. I'm not Canadian, but my great uncle from Nova Scotia enlisted in March,1916 and was eventually assigned to 7th Brigade in 3rd Canadian Division. According to the war diary (plus the part II orders for 42nd Bn.) two limbers were caught in artillery fire at Lens during a relief on the night of 4/5 September,1917; two drivers and three Lewis gunners were wounded. So, I guess great uncle was either a driver or gunner, wish I had paid more attention during my conversations with him as a youngster.
Good luck with the book.

Dave

Hope you enjoy it, Dave! A lot of my readers are "non-fiction" readers, although strangely the actual WW1 buffs tend to shy away for some reason.

Read the 42nd's war diary and regimental history account of your great uncle's experience near Cite St. Pierre. I'd have thought his service records might give some hint whether he was a gunner or a driver?

Thanks for the message!

Darrell

Thanks for your interest. Yes, I did request his service records in 2006 from NA Canada, but for the most part they consisted of his medical and dental records (he was wounded a second time around Monchy in August of 1918). My wife and I visited Montreal in 2010 so stopped by the RHC Armoury there. However, at the time, they were unable to provide any information from their archives due to the overwhelming demand. They did finally catch up on the backlog in 2012 and sent me a batch of documents which mostly confirmed the details provided by the NA. I think it likely that he was a driver instead of a Lewis gunner since the prewar occupation listed on his attestation paper was "lumberman".

Dave

1 hour ago, lostinspace said:

I think it likely that he was a driver instead of a Lewis gunner since the prewar occupation listed on his attestation paper was "lumberman".

I don't suppose you'd mind telling me his name?

I'm currently reading, and enjoying, 'Malcolm McPhail's Great War', and will be reading the following books in the series.  Glad to see there is a new one.  👍

1 hour ago, DarrellDuthie said:

I don't suppose you'd mind telling me his name?

Sure, his name was Alton Leroy Earley (Pte. 282537), from Annapolis Royal, N.S. Enlisted (along with his dad, Elias) on March 15, 1916, discharged Halifax April 19, 1919.

Dave

59 minutes ago, lostinspace said:

Sure, his name was Alton Leroy Earley (Pte. 282537), from Annapolis Royal, N.S. Enlisted (along with his dad, Elias) on March 15, 1916, discharged Halifax April 19, 1919.

Dave

Thanks! Yes, I have the impression he was indeed with the transport section. If for no other reason than the following phraseology: "Lewis gunners coming out at the rear of the 42nd were caught in this and sustained several casualties. The Transport also came under the same fire and several of the drivers were wounded." This is from the regimental history and expands on the war diary. As such the Lewis gunners don't appear to have been part of the 42nd, as Earley was. Unfortunately, I came no further with all the other searches I made except to note, and marvel at the fact that he was hit first in the right leg in 1917, only to get it in the left at Monchy in 1918... !! The 42nd was in the thick of it for much of the war. He would have had some tales!

15 hours ago, DarrellDuthie said:

He would have had some tales!

Yes he did, too bad I can't remember most of them! My only lengthy conversation with him was when I was about twelve years old, as we stayed a day or two at his residence (in California) on our way to my brother's wedding. I do remember the wound in his right calf, still visible after some forty-five years. The second wound in 1918 was much worse, a bullet through his left thigh, which managed to do a lot of damage in the process, He spent the next couple of years in and out of various hospitals, and in 1923 emigrated to the U.S. I've never been able to determine why he left Canada, some sort of family spat I suspect, or perhaps a failed marriage. He died in 1976 and my great aunt a few years later. Since they didn't have any children, his wartime memorabilia was split up; I have a Black Watch cap badge, his Victory medal and a few other odds and ends.

Dave

Despite my best efforts I have concluded  that only one various post WW2 novel about he Great War, Covenant With Death, is the only one which  really approaches the quality of post WW1 books written by veterans. Most are pretty poor. However I remain open minded and in hope have just ordered a copy of A Summer for War. 

Regards

David

On 05/12/2021 at 18:00, David Filsell said:

However I remain open minded and in hope have just ordered a copy of A Summer for War.

Then all I can say is: here's to open mindedness, and happy reading!

On 04/12/2021 at 20:13, 593jones said:

I'm currently reading, and enjoying, 'Malcolm McPhail's Great War', and will be reading the following books in the series

Great to hear! :thumbsup: Hope you enjoy the others.

On 05/12/2021 at 16:01, lostinspace said:

I have a Black Watch cap badge, his Victory medal and a few other odds and ends

Thanks for the details and the story, Dave. The Black Watch cap badge is pretty neat.