Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fortified Farms

Codex canadensis

Good day,

I have come across several different occurrences of authors describing a style of farm found in France and Flanders.

“… house, barn and stables all built in a square around the enormous dung-well … You entered through an arched porte cochere that led from the road through the middle of the house to the enclosed square …”

Does anyone know what this style of farm is or was called? I think it sounds similar to a Byre-dwelling but what would the French or Flemish name be? They were occasionally turned into strong points along the Flandern Stellung line and I’m looking for more information on them.

Thank you,

I may have figured this one out. The chateau-ferme of Hougoumont of similar description is an “enclosed (or walled) Brabant farm (une ferme en quadrilatere).” 

10 minutes ago, Codex canadensis said:

I may have figured this one out. The chateau-ferme of Hougoumont of similar description is an “enclosed (or walled) Brabant farm (une ferme en quadrilatere).” 

But this kind of farms is extremely rare in the Ypres Salient...

I always thought most fortified farms in the Salient had a moat for defence.

Maybe further south, on the chalk landscapes of Picardy, a walled enclosure may make more sense.

Peter

Attached is a map of the different types of farms found in Belgium (taken from Goedseels V. en Vanhaute L., 'Hoeven op land gebouwd, een verhaal van boerderijen, landschappen en mensen', Leuven, 1983.).

The type of farms in the western part of Flanders is defined as the 'open multiple building order'. In the central part of Belgium the 'closed multiple building order' type is most frequent for bigger farms (such as Hougoumont)

best regards,

Bert

Types farms.jpg