Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ww_1 Binocular navy

Erasmo

4 hours ago, Erasmo said:

I would not have other questions but I still have a curiosity about my telescope: from the eyepiece side and not from the objective a sort of needle protrudes for about three mm ... what is the use?  thanks, to you for your patience😉

Not the pin for opening and closing the sliding or swivelling eyepiece shutter?

42 minutes ago, MikB said:

Not the pin for opening and closing the sliding or swivelling eyepiece shutter?

That's what I'd think it is.  Try sliding it sideways.

image1-1.jpeg.d40aafca9fb1c9376c49daf943d0dd83.jpegimage0.jpeg.653862766363ecb940faa6b88df824c5.jpeg

maybe, even from a few years before, and it has no focus adjustments ... it has a good magnification maybe 8x ... but dust must have entered the lenses because I see the images somewhat

😑

Ths Pierssc,exact it is just similar to that of your photo ... the dust entered from there, inside, because it was not in the case🤨

Edited by Erasmo

. . . so it's the shutter, but for now I don't close it, because there could be some dust grains between the shutter and the lens ... if I look from the lens I can focus but if I look from the shutter instead I have a blurred image , will it be enough to clean the lens from the shutter side or should the elements be disassembled?  would an optician know how to do it? 🤔

10 hours ago, Erasmo said:

. . . so it's the shutter, but for now I don't close it, because there could be some dust grains between the shutter and the lens ... if I look from the lens I can focus but if I look from the shutter instead I have a blurred image , will it be enough to clean the lens from the shutter side or should the elements be disassembled?  would an optician know how to do it? 🤔

It's usually straighforward on a standard drawtube telescope.

1. The eyecup unscrews, and either brings the screwed-in eyepiece cell with it, or exposes a top flange allowing it to be withdrawn from the smallest drawtube.

2. The individual lenses (2 - off) can then be unscrewed from the inner cell tube. Mark or note the lenses in the eyepiece cell to make sure you put them back the right way.

3. Unscrew the flange linking the smallest drawtube to the next. 

4. Unscrew the erector cell from the objective end of the drawtube - again typically 2 lenses. 

The only lens remaining is usually the objective lens (2 or 3 elements in close contact).

If the flanged tube drawtube connector fit nicely, there's no need to remove it. It may be lined with felt or a kind of industrial-strength velvet.

Clean lenses and threads as required before reassembly.

Some military telescopes had a darkened-glass filter incorporated in the shutter.

Edited by MikB