Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The War 1914 -1918 compiled by Blunden, Falls, Tomlinson and Wright

David Filsell

I have just managed to find an undated reprint copy of this slender 11 page publication which was unknown to me and produced by The National Home-Reading Union which notes it was reprinted from The Reader and originally priced at  seven pence. It contains Edmund Blunden's perceptive three page introduction in which he notes the work as "not a complete bibliography but one which aims at being a representation of books for those who would know "why the War was and what it was". It seems that few copies of the work survive. 

It contains references some 250 works on the war's history, personal impressions and recollections, psychological interpretations of the war, fiction, poetry, anthologies, drama and Divisional and regimental histories

It contains Divisional  and regimental histories  - many well known and many new to me. Although no publication date is given the rear cover indicate publication in 1930 by the Home-Reading Union (noting its objective  of offering guidance to "Readers who wish to study privately: Discussion groups, Reading Cirles, Clubs and Libraries".

Most of the books listed are British, a few are translations from German. The quality of all the entries ranging from the first, Aspinal Oglander, to Everard Wyral via the translation German Paul Alverdes and the French Henry Barbusse are all books which have stood the test of time.

Regards

David

Edited by David Filsell

• David Filsell changed the title to The War 1914 -1918 compiled by Blunden, Falls, Tomlinson and Wright

I haven't come across this before, but I see there's a copy available on AbeBooks for £77. It sounds very interesting, but not 77 quid's worth of interesting.

All the best, John

John,

It is a not just a valuable and genuine rarity. Having missed out out on a  very high priced copy signed by Edmund Blunden priced at rather more than £77 I located a far cheaper, but unsigned, copy in a book search. It's not a key work, simply a 9 page booklet giving author, book title, year of publication, price and publisher for entries and notes it is "in no sense complete". Blunden's three page introduction is, like all his work, is perceptive and the list of books offers many volumes unknown to me. Not least of its values is the list of fiction works, some of which were among the books unknown to me - as indeed were many on other topics. So on balance it is useful and seemingly little  known worreference and for book hunting edited and prefaced by a fine author on the Great War.

Regards 

David

2 hours ago, David Filsell said:

John,

It is a not just a valuable and genuine rarity. Having missed out out on a  very high priced copy signed by Edmund Blunden priced at rather more than £77 I located a far cheaper, but unsigned, copy in a book search. It's not a key work, simply a 9 page booklet giving author, book title, year of publication, price and publisher for entries and notes it is "in no sense complete". Blunden's three page introduction is, like all his work, is perceptive and the list of books offers many volumes unknown to me. Not least of its values is the list of fiction works, some of which were among the books unknown to me - as indeed were many on other topics. So on balance it is useful and seemingly little  known worreference and for book hunting edited and prefaced by a fine author on the Great War.

Regards 

David

I have this list. I thought it would be a good reference for further hunting. Just all the classics. I also found the 'War Books' lecture by Tomlinson. I found this hard work and uninspiring.

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek but I'm grateful to you for highlighting it, and I'd be genuinely interested to see a copy.

All the best, John

That's brilliant David - much appreciated!

Many thanks, John