Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help identifying uniform

CarlyC

Hello,

I am looking for some help identifying the uniforms in these two photographs, if at all possible. I am not sure how much creative licence has been used. We believe one of the young men served with the 17th Royal Scots and another with the Black Watch 3rd RH. Is the young man pictured on his own Black Watch? Any help greatly appreciated!

Harris1.jpg

Harris2.jpg

The top photo in kilt is Black Watch.  The lower two photos possibly Highland Light Infantry, although the man on the right does not appear to have been coloured correctly, as there’s no white overcheck in the trews and the collar and cuffs should be yellow.  Alternatively the man on the right (only) might be King’s Own Scottish Borderers, or Royal Scots Fusiliers, both of which were still wearing the same, dark-hued, government sett trews (also worn by Royal Scots until 1901), in which case the collar and cuffs would in reality be dark blue for either one of them.

Afternote:  Looking carefully I can see that the lower two pictures show the same man.  In the picture wearing a scarlet, full-dress doublet, he looks younger, perhaps circa 1901 (still wearing government tartan trews), in the second picture with khaki service dress jacket he appears older with a moustache and wearing the new tartan trews adopted by the Royal Scots, (“Hunting Stuart”), with the distinctive, yellow over stripe. 

DACE3E25-01B5-4527-817E-4A08AB31A630.jpeg

B286C1AA-7E73-4449-B6FE-AEECDBFFB493.jpeg

1D288FFB-27B6-4B72-BDF9-4AB1F891D68E.jpeg

1EC79EF1-BC89-45C1-9151-AEE40DE469E0.jpeg

B95D3271-A1B4-4B4F-B493-D43ED28EC091.jpeg

10B5F831-BAEA-4215-9E8F-954BCAB508D1.jpeg

5C28EDD3-6E93-4BD2-AC66-1E676E369DA1.jpeg

011950E6-66BE-426F-AA4E-092CB35C3CDC.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

19 minutes ago, CarlyC said:

Hello,

Thank you for that - really useful!

I’m sorry if it came across a bit complicated.  Put simply you were correct in your assumptions.  The top picture of a solitary soldier is Royal Highlanders (Black Watch).  The lowermost pictures are the same soldier in the Royal Scots at different times, one around 1902 and the other during [probably] WW1.

NB.  It suggests that the young fellow in the Royal Scots either had previous service as a regular soldier, or was perhaps in a Militia battalion (whichever, at around the time of the 2nd Boer War).

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hello,

Thank you. We had believed the images were three brothers so you're idea that one of the images shows the same young man is very interesting. Thank you again.

3 hours ago, CarlyC said:

Hello,

Thank you. We had believed the images were three brothers so you're idea that one of the images shows the same young man is very interesting. Thank you again.

It’s possible that they are brothers and that it’s just a combination of family resemblance and a pure coincidence that they both wear the uniform of Lowland Regiments (trew wearing) that made me think them to be the same man.  I’ve tried to explain above that several of the units at one time all wore the same government tartan trews, and that can make it difficult to discern the regiment unless insignia and / or headdress is clear.  Unfortunately the collar badges have been distorted by the colouring, which has also been applied without much consideration for accuracy.  I enclose an image of the Royal Scot’s collar badge.  The coloured blob on the picture you posted makes it impossible to ascertain any detail.

3635E485-9F3A-468B-942C-5A147C539500.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE