Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Destuction of Trench System

LizM

Have been up to see the trench system that was found in January of this year, only to find that someone has been up there and destroyed some of the duckboards and surrounding area, massacered it I would say. Obviously knew what they wanted. I felt very upset as it is sacred ground and it should of been covered over when the excavation was finished and was not, so not only the weather damaged a good deal but also humans as lots of big prints!

Please if you do manage to get to see anything so privilaged DO NOT WALK all over and destroy the trench.

Have enclosed the photo of what it was like before being pulled up.

Thanks

Liz

post-7-1110721544.jpg

Paul,

The dig was ongoing until Friday. I visited on Friday and the dig , carried out by IAP, was located accross the road from Track X cem in the Admiirals road area. It was a couple of hundred meters from where they were digging a couple of years ago. The Archaeologist said to me that they had discovered a 1915 trench and a 1917 trench. The site is scheduled to be filled in on Monday.

See you tommorrow!

Iain

Thanks Iain

Glad someone knows what is going on, shame they waited so long to finish. Hope it does get filled in tomorrow.

see you soon

Liz