Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RIP Barry Coope of Coope, Boyes and Simpson

seaJane

Those of you who enjoy Coope Boyes and Simpson's Great War-themed songs and CDs, or heard them at the Passchendaele Peace Concerts / Vredesconcerten Passendale, will be sorry to hear that Barry Coope died on Saturday November 6th after a short illness.

I had the pleasure of hearing him sing many times, both with CBS and with John Tams, and I was at a singing workshop with his sister-in-law Jo Freya only this weekend past. He'll be sadly missed by family and friends. 

• Admin

Sad news, I was lucky to hear them perform three time. This song which was recorded in one take, really showcases his voice.

This is sad news indeed. I have seen and met the group a few times in Ypres. RIP

• 2 weeks later...

Very sad to hear this.

Back on 2nd Nov, an old friend, who's a serious folkie and Border Morris dancer (retired), dropped round for a visit.  We spent several hours playing each other our favourite Great War-related songs.  I introduced him to June Tabor's No Man's LandDancing at Whitsun (versions by Shirley Collins, June Tabor, Maddy Prior/Steeleye Span, Jean Redpath), Dick Gaughan, Eric Bogle, Hamish Henderson, int. al. and he played me some Coope Boyes & Simpson I'd not heard before.

We particularly enjoyed debating the merits of the CBS, War Horse and Macalmans versions of Only Remembered.  We had both assumed it was a fairly recent song and were quite surprised its roots go right back to a Scottish hymn of the 1870s put to an American tune.

All in all, a happy time.  Weird to think Barry was only a few days from passing.  A great loss.

Mark

Very sorry to hear this news. Tragically it comes on the back of another major loss to the folk music world in my local area. A singer named Ken Johnson who was very well known in the Chesterfield area passed at around the same time. I was very much a fan of Coope, Boyes and Simpson, and this one was a particular favourite.

Mike