Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Driver 562 J. Olson

tankengine888

1 hour ago, Fromelles said:

The rank of 'Trooper' doesn't appear within the rank structure of the AIF, though very much in use at the time it just wasn't officially a rank

Better late than never, eh?

As I recall from what I've heard and seen, Trooper was used for the standard Private in the Light Horse... Probably reciting it wrong, but that's what I recall. 

Tank.

43 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

As I recall from what I've heard and seen, Trooper was used for the standard Private in the Light Horse... Probably reciting it wrong, but that's what I recall. 

Tank.

The AIF generally followed the rank titles and organisational protocols of the British Army, and the various titles for ‘private’ equivalent were evolving.  For the story behind ‘Trooper’ see: 

On 16/07/2022 at 00:57, FROGSMILE said:

The AIF generally followed the rank titles and organisational protocols of the British Army, and the various titles for ‘private’ equivalent were evolving.

Yes, I believe it would have been soon after the British took it up. More digging needs to be done however.

I know ‘Trooper’ was in common use during the Boer War, but have never looked into it being an actual rank or whether it was used much like it was during WW1.

Dan

28 minutes ago, Fromelles said:

Yes, I believe it would have been soon after the British took it up. More digging needs to be done however.

I know ‘Trooper’ was in common use during the Boer War, but have never looked into it being an actual rank or whether it was used much like it was during WW1.

Dan

I suspect that at that time they would have been fairly closely aligned with the rest of the Imperial and other Dominion forces.  We were much more integrated in what we did back then Dan.  Singing largely off the same hymn sheet, as it were.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 16/07/2022 at 00:07, tankengine888 said:

I apologise if I have fallen short of your strict time frame

56 minutes ago, Fromelles said:

I apologise if I have fallen short of your strict time frame

Nah, it's fine don't worry. I just find it funny if anything.

16 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I suspect that at that time they would have been fairly closely aligned with the rest of the Imperial and other Dominion forces.  We were much more integrated in what we did back then Dan.  Singing largely off the same hymn sheet, as it were.

I'd agree with that statement. I know the AIF Battalions had 8 companies that were reduced to 4 in January 1915 to mirror the British Structure, I mean, I guess it would make sense, but that's just me guessing.

tank.

1 hour ago, tankengine888 said:

Nah, it's fine don't worry. I just find it funny if anything.

I'd agree with that statement. I know the AIF Battalions had 8 companies that were reduced to 4 in January 1915 to mirror the British Structure, I mean, I guess it would make sense, but that's just me guessing.

tank.

All the written regulations and field manuals were either British, or of British origin, for the sound practical reason that most substantial military operations would be in conjunction with British imperial and other dominion forces, so following the same structures and protocols was entirely logical and pragmatic. 

Edited by FROGSMILE