Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WANTED - Southampton Old Cemetery - Grave photo please.

Matlock1418

Here's hoping that someone can get a current/recent photo(s) and confirm this grave's location please.

Major Frank Vivian BAGSHAW, RGA - Died 2 Nov. 1918 - recently newly commemorated at CWGC https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/75467530/frank-vivian-bagshaw - but still only commemorated in the UK Book of Remembrance.

@ Plot H56 / 125 [location according to this 2018 Find a Grave photo https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/194746002/frank-vivian-bagshaw ] - as a cross appears present it shouldn't be too hard to locate ... I hope.

537967607_BAGSHAWFVFindAGrave-2018-11-5.jpeg.9fee01e8425602339ad488a74018a39d.jpeg

Image courtesy of Find A Grave - with thanks.

To aid your search this appears to be the location: Southampton Old Cemetery - H56 [grave 125]

1682707464_SouthamptonOldCemetery(1)H56grave125.png.d1553bf55ff77019a0841b8ae30c33d2.png

Base map image found on/courtesy of http://allatsea.co.za/musings/southampton-old-cemetery - with thanks

In hope ...

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
add link

I Managed a visit on Thursday when passing through Southampton on the way home from the IoW and, once I'd got my bearings, found the grave relatively easily, so although I can't  confirm the grave number (no apparent markings), I can confirm that it is in plot H56.  

384259442_Southampton-Bagshaw2a.JPG.d8276dc75c305ccfb1ef4e1ac5e42a6c.JPG       1155656053_Southampton-Bagshaw1a.JPG.901f6625e9d8e58145e11c5088a6878f.JPG

Sadly, since the Findagrave photo, the cross appears to have been displaced and, although not so obvious from my image, now leans forward making it likely that it will eventually either fall over, be pushed over or laid down for safety reasons.  The photo of the inscription, I'll have to admit, isn't brilliant due mainly to the lean and the gloomy weather.  It reads :

IN LOVING MEMORY OF  FRANK VIVIAN BAGSHAW. MAJOR R.G.A. [T.] DIED NOVEMBER 2ND 1918. AGED 37 YEARS.

What isn't clear from the cemetery plan is that the odd shape shown in plot H57 is actually one of the chapels (now, apparently, in use for for other purposes); Major Bagshaw's grave is alongside the north side of the path running diagonally across plot H56  near its junction with that which runs past the front of the chapel and on to plots G46 & G47; there is just one other grave between the grave and the paths' junction. So, Looking through the cemetery entrance (plot G50) the chapel entrance is straight ahead with a CWGC Cross of Sacrifice (located in plot H58) in the foreground; from the chapel entrance take the path immediately to its right and the grave is the second on the right (there is a yew tree, adjacent to the chapel, on the opposite side of the path). 

My one regret, especially as it was 11th of November, was that I didn't have  a poppy cross to place, but I was pleased to able to pay my respects.

I did notice that there is  a  'Friends of Southampton Old Cemetery (FoSOC)'  https://fosoc.org/ which might be useful.

If larger images would be of use please let me know. Hoping this helps with getting his burial correctly recorded by the CWGC.

NigelS

Many thanks for making the trip to find Major Bagshaw's resting place. On a very poingnant day too.

Sincere thanks for the photos and detailed post you have made.  Much appreciated.

It looks like CWGC won't have much trouble with his grave location [probably confirmed by the cemetery records and/or I guess possibly by counting from adjacent numbered graves ??] but it is concerning the cross is now leaning.  Not sure how that can perhaps be corrected. [How done if not a relative?]

Edited by Matlock1418

On 13/11/2021 at 10:59, Matlock1418 said:

It looks like CWGC won't have much trouble with his grave location [probably confirmed by the cemetery records and/or I guess possibly by counting from adjacent numbered graves ??] but it is concerning the cross is now leaning.  Not sure how that can perhaps be corrected. [How done if not a relative?]

Unfortunately, like many others, this cemetery isn't that well maintained. Although the cemetery  'Friends' are unlikely to be able to do anything about it (ie rather more likely that they are not allowed to) they might be able to advise on possible contacts; I suspect that the most likely action would be laying the cross down on safety grounds.  Would imagine even if they can't do anything, the Friends  might be interested in hearing Major Bagshaw's story.

NigelS

8 hours ago, NigelS said:

Unfortunately, like many others, this cemetery isn't that well maintained. Although the cemetery  'Friends' are unlikely to be able to do anything about it (ie rather more likely that they are not allowed to) they might be able to advise on possible contacts; I suspect that the most likely action would be laying the cross down on safety grounds. 

Under such circumastances I believe CWGC headstones can take the place of originals, or even supplement them.  The main issue I think is getting permission from the cemetery and next of kin.  That may be CWGC next role.

8 hours ago, NigelS said:

Would imagine even if they can't do anything, the Friends  might be interested in hearing Major Bagshaw's story.

Will try and contact the 'Friends' and hope his story of his service and death will whet their appetite for support a bit - I hope.

Thanks again for your help with the recent recce of the grave & the photos.